Where can I get a 1 metre wide outside door?

I've been doing some decorating for a customer and her over sized backdoor is rotten. She had it made up on site some time ago by someone who couldn't get another of the shelf. Is this my only option as well? It is the usual height but 1000mm wide with two glass panels.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Why not replace door *and* frame with a uPVC jobbie, which *won't* rot?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ask in here

of good trade guys there who will make you one. Do state whereabouts you are in the country. If you are in the southampton area, mail me, making the obvious changes in my email address and I can put you on to a local chap I know.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Possibly because the OP thinks the customer would hate them? I certainly would - they look *so* pigging ugly.

I realize that otherwise quite rational people like them - my sister and my mother for starters - but I loathe uPVC with a passion.

(Also, they won't rot; but that doesn't mean they won't degrade over time and need replacing.)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I bought a door from Russell Timber Technology in 2009. They made it to size. I'm sure they'd do 1m wide. They are in Glasgow, but they delivered to Cambridge without trouble.

I'd highly recommend them. There was a problem with the door handle, and they sent somebody round to fix it within a day I think (might have been two). The really impressive bit is that nobody said "sorry, not my problem" (admittedly, some people decided that the best way of solving the problem was to put me in contact with somebody who could actually do something about it - but a) until they had done so, it was their responsibility to sort it out; b) they were right.)

Martin Bonner

Because such doors look ugly and they do rot. The break down in sunlight and up looking rough, grey and even more vile than when they were made.

Reply to
Steve Firth

day, like her neighbours but until then we are having to cut out a lot of dead wood. We are in West London.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

I suggested uPVC because it's relatively cheap, but my real preference (as installed at my own home) is for thermal-break aluminium. That certainly won't rot - or sag - or discolour with sunlight.

Reply to
Roger Mills

She will never *have* to get the lot done in UPVC. That is always a choice (and a poor one IMHO), but if she is planning to install UPVC eventually, it seems madness to do anything else first.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

The frame will be going soon so she chose well.

I would have replaced both the frame and door with a standard wooden one and a wooden panel on the side. Or extra large sectioned frame legs. There is then the problem of fitting unless you use expanding foam which is excellent.

What difference would there be in the price? Just out of interest. UVPC used to be expensive, Now its real wood. We don't grow it.

French and Spanich trees are nice but nobody in England has realised that yet. After the war they grew trees that people would want.

We grew trees that the NCB would have wanted, until the Canadians and the USAns started strip mining whole mountain ranges and Maggie got her nose in that pie.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer