Where can I get a custom glass tabletop cut to mount on my own base?

I've just laid my hands on a beautiful old Singer sewing machine, and want to turn it into a dining table... Can anyone recommend me a glass workshop who'd be able to cut me a tabletop and bond it onto some custom fittings so that I could mount it on the sewing machine base? I'm in Hertfordshire but anywhere in London region would be fine.

Thanks a bunch, Tasha

Reply to
j-chan

a glazier perhaps?

You'd need the glass ground to give a smooth edge, and toughened for safety. You could use the cheaper laminated, but it wouldnt be nearly as strong, so go for toughened.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Any good glass merchant will be able to do whatever you like, to your drawings. I've had all kinds of stuff made at the local Gibbs & Dandy. Just go in and tell the bloke what you want ...

Reply to
Huge

Great, thanks all for the advice! Will give it a try.

Tasha

Reply to
j-chan

Unlikely these days though. Most "glaziers" are just in the business of sticking in sealed units. Finding someone who actually works glass at this level is likely to need a dozen phonecalls before you get the right one. They're out there, but don't expect anyone and everyone you call to be capable or interested in doing it. I'm on about my fourth glazier before I found one that was consistently good.

Personally I wouldn't use glass here anyway. Wood or stone - glass looks too modern(ist) to sit happily on top of a sewing machine base.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I don't get it - pubs were using treadle bases for 'characterful' tables twenty years ago, yet still people think it's stylish or interesting or ... something?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Ring round yellow pages...till you find someone who will cut and toughen safety glass for you.

Lots of people do...plenty of custom showers, patio doors and the like to be made ..

Try under 'glass' ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rob Morley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

I think it says something about Singer machines. Now if it had been a Bernina, it would be used for sewing...

Reply to
Rod

I have a few old Singers (from 1917 to 1959) and they all work fine. I don't think the newer ones last as well.

Reply to
Rob Morley