Is oil primer for new wood best?

New fascia board with lots of knots. I had already primed it with 2 coats of Kilz Premium, but a painter told me that it would be best to put an oil primer on because the knots will bleed through and stain the finish at some point in the future.

Should I go over it with oil and should I use oil on any subsequently replaced new fascia?

Thanks.

Reply to
al

He's right and yes...I'd also select clear material for trim in the future (even at the burden of paying the premium for it).

Reply to
dpb

The purpose of Kilz is to hide the stains. Clear for fascia board?

I hope you're kidding.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

But the real intent of Kilz is mildew and an oil primer will do far better for preventing seep-thru of pine pitch.

And, I said (and was thinking) "trim" rather than just a fascia board. But even there, I'd still make a real effort for at least 1C rather than run-of-the mill whatever comes out of the big-box stack...

Reply to
dpb

Stick with Kilz (or equiv) and a quality 100% acrylic exterior paint:

yellowbirddog

OK, I did some checking. From the Kilz web site: To block tannin stains:

KILZ Exterior, or KILZ Premium primers

KILZ Premium primer can be used as a tannin sealer and undercoater on all types of exterior wood. NOTE: Because of the variances in wood substrates, even multiple coats may not stop tannin or resin stains on all wood surfaces and knots.

Even clear for interior trim to be painted gets pricy. You do have to use some care at the big box stores though. They do have some real crap.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The issue is that the knots may show through. That's why all the knots are primed first, then the entire piece is primed such that the knots get two coats. What is more likely to show through is resin pockets, although some woods (like pine) are prone to this problem. The shellac primer is probably the best coating for this issue. Oil paints are particularly good.

Reply to
Phisherman

In the old days we used shellac to seal knots.

al wrote:

Reply to
Stubby