New Entry Door: Wood or Fiberglass?

Anyone know how a wood-grain fiberglass door will hold up to a dog's claws? We want a replacement for our entry door. If we go with wood I'll screw some brass plates where appropriate. If she can groove fiberglass it will be very noticeable, and difficult to hide. I think I might like to use fiberglass if it will stand up well to our dog's doorbell hysteria. Our current door is 10 yrs. old, fir, and shows 1/8" deep grooves where our Aussie attacks it.

Thanks,

Mike G

Reply to
geemike

The steel door might be a better solution. Further, you can buy magnetic kick plates that are a snap to replace and can be adjusted over time to find the best spot to cover your canine's door attacks.

Reply to
ceraboy

Dogs can groove fiberglass. The replaceable kick plates sound like a good idea.

Reply to
roger61611

I agree with the previous replies: fiberglass can end up looking like the wood, though the scratches >may< not be as drastic. Even metal doors can be grooved if the dog is big.

I like the idea of kick plates. My first thought when I saw magnetic kickplates is that the dog may be able to move them or pull them off, but I have no knowledge of such a thing happening. Of course, if you use magnetic kickplates you'll have to buy a steel door.

Reply to
Hopkins

Trim the dogs nails and get a shock collar to train it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Get the dog de-clawed. De-clawing cats is hideous, cruel, inhumane, and a possible death sentence for the kitty inasmuch as it loses its primary defensive and offensive weapons.

But who cares about a dog.

Reply to
HeyBub

The dog will also scratch the paint off the steel door. Some type of consumable plate is needed, though the REAL solution would be to not permit the dog to jump up against & scratch the door.

Feed the dog a bunch of sponges that have been soaked in bacon grease, or give it some antifreeze in it&#39;s water. That should solve the problem.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

replying to Oscar_Lives, animal lover wrote: You sound like the type of person that should be behind bars or in a padded cell.

Reply to
animal lover

We have an exterior fiberglass door and two dogs that scratch for no less than 15 minutes per dog daily when they want it. There are no signs of claw marks whatsoever. There is however muddy prints on the door. The door was installed 1.5 years ago. That would be ~280 minutes of straight scratching. One dog is a Red Bone Coon Hound the other is and American Eskimo. They are have healthy nails. I am looking for something that I can use in the house to mitigate cat damage on trim. Literally one of my door jams is nothing but shredded tooth picks. Someone has got to make something for that.

Reply to
Michigander

___________________ | . . | | | | | | NO SCRATCHING | | | | | |_________________|

Reply to
micky

It isn't very stylish but I clad the door the cat scratches on when he wants out with aluminum flashing. It's easily cut to size with tin snips and glued on with panel cement.

Reply to
rbowman

While looking for something else on Amazon, I found a number of products:

They are all basically double sided tape. Apparently cats hate sticky paws as much as I do. From most of the reviews it's almost a one shot deal.

Reply to
rbowman

A .22 short should solve the cat problem . The dogs can be taught to bark instead of scratching . My Mountain Cur does .

Reply to
Snag