Sawstop--the wrong marketing approach?

Page 10 of 13
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:04:41 GMT, Lobby Dosser

One of the limits of SawStop, according to all the reports, is that it doesn't work in very damp wood, such as you're more likely to encounter with a chain saw.
--RC
Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent
ted harris wrote:

You beat your head against a wall long enough and you finally quit trying. Sawstop probably wouldn't have been possible 20 years ago. And most manufacturers likely gave up looking for a way to stop the blade instantly on contact 40 years ago.

If the legislation says "shall stop the blade within x fractions of a revolution upon skin contact" or words to that effect, then it might be OK. If it says "must use Sawstop" then it's not.
Now, Sawstop is supposed to be bringing saws to market. If this is so all fired important to most woodworkers, then Sawstop will put Delta, Jet, Grizzly, Craftsman, and all the rest out of the sawmaking business. I predict that the market is going to just go *yawn*. And of course you are going to respond that we are all too stupid to look out for our own interest and so must be forced to do so by the government.

It's seldom "the common man" who "is using the laws to get better protection". It is usually the squeaky wheel getting the grease. I don't want a car with airbags, but the choice is that or an antique. I don't want the 5 mph bumpers that cost $2000 to fix if they get hit at 5.5 mph or at any other angle but square on and that add weight for precious little benefit. But I don't have a choice there either. I always wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle--I have no problem with the government setting safety standards for motorcycle helmets except that the Snell standards, which were around for years before the government got into the act and which any knowledgeable rider recognized are better researched and more stringent and at times have been in conflict with the government standards--but I don't like being told that I'm going to get a ticket if I decide one day not to for some reason (like for example last night some bastard stole it and I'm on the way to the store to get a new one). I always wear seat belts, but I resent the laws that say that if one day, on just one trip, I forget to buckle up, I can get stopped and searched and otherwise harassed by the police. If you ask "the common man" he'll generally tell you the same thing. But we _don't_ get asked, and when we vote out the bastards who enacted these idiotic laws the new bastards don't deliver on their promises and repeal them, instead they just pass their own bunch of idiotic laws. And so we have a body of statute law that even the lawyers can't keep up with, but "ignorance of the law is no excuse".
Go down to the library. Look at your state laws and the US Code sitting on the shelf. Ask yourself what's wrong with this picture.
--
--John
Right on the money!
"J. Clarke" wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

I'm sure many of you have see these before, but if you have not, enjoy!
STUPID LOCAL LAWS
In Ottumwa, Iowa, "It is unlawful for any male person, within the corporate limits of the (city), to wink at any female person with whom he is unacquainted."
In Los Angeles, you cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time.
In Zion, Ill., it is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animals kept as pets.
In Carmel, N.Y., a man can't go outside while wearing a jacket and pants that do not match. << Note: this law isn't silly. Write your legislators today and get this PASSED in your area now!!>>
In St. Louis, it's illegal to sit on the curb of any city street and drink beer from a bucket.
In Hartford, Conn., you aren't allowed to cross a street while walking on your hands.
In Baltimore, it's illegal to throw bales of hay from a second-story window within the city limits. It's also illegal to take a lion to the movies.
In Oxford, Ohio, it's illegal for a woman to strip off her clothing while standing in front of a man's picture.
In Carrizozo, N.M., it's forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public (includes legs and face).
In Pennsylvania it is illegal to have over 16 women live in a house together because that constitutes a brothel...however up to 120 men can live together, without breaking the law.
In Michigan, a woman isn't allowed to cut her own hair without her husband's permission. printed in the local paper....
In New York, it is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.
The state of Washington has passed a law stating it is illegal, I repeat, illegal, to paint polka dots on the American flag.
In order for a pickle to officially be considered a pickle in Connecticut, it must bounce.
To keep any of the incarcerated beast from picking up bad habits, the town of Manville , NJ decreed that it is illegal to feed whiskey or offer cigarettes to animals at the local zoo.
If you sell hollow logs in Tennessee, you are breaking the law.
Compulsive gamblers stay out of Richmond, VA: it is even illegal to flip a coin in a restaurant to see who pays for the coffee.
Have it your way, but don't share it in OK. This state forbids a person from taking a bite out of another person's hamburger.
Need a radio on Sunday? In Spokane, WA, you can buy one on the Sabbath, but forget about purchasing a television!
In the state of New York, you need a license to use a clothesline outdoors.
What happens to doughnut holes? Well, they won't be found in Lehigh NE. Selling doughnut holes in this city is verboten.
And if any retirees from the circus are thinking about settling down and farming in NC, they are forwarned right here and now that it is against the law in this state to use elephants to plow cotton fields! It is illegal to take more than 2 baths a month within Boston confines.
Two people cannot kiss in front of a church.
All Public Displays of Affection (PDAs) are forbidden on Sunday.
Pedestrians always have the right of way.
Anyone may let their sheep and cows graze in the public gardens/commons at any time except Sundays. In Calgary there is a by-law that is still on the books that requires businesses within the city to provide rails for tying up horses.
In the England it is illegal to sell most goods on a Sunday, (this law is mostly ignored), it is however legal to sell a carrot. It is also legal to sell it at any price and to give free gifts with it, such as anything else one might want to buy on a Sunday! Pennsylvania:
In certain sections of Pennsylvania many years ago, the Farmer's Anti-Automobile society set up some "rules of the road." In effect, they said:
1. "Automobiles travelling on country roads at night must send up a rocket every mile, then wait ten minutes for the road to clear."
2. "If a driver sees a team of horses, he is to pull to one side of the road and cover his machine with a blanket or dust cover that has been painted to blend into the scenery."
3. "In the event that a horse refuses to pass a car on the road, the owner must take his car apart and conceal the parts in the bushes."
Utah:
It is against the law to fish from horseback.
Ohio:
In Bexley, Ordinance number 223, of 09/09/19 prohibits the installation and usage of slot machines in outhouses.
Indiana:
Back in 1924, a monkey was convicted in South Bend of the crime of smoking a cigarette and sentenced to pay a 25 dollar fine and the trial costs.
Kansas:
No one may catch fish with his bare hands in Kansas. California:
In 1930, the City Council of Ontario passed an ordinance forbidding roosters to crow within the city limits.
Oklahoma:
Harthahorne City Ordinance, Section 363, states that it shall be unlawful to put any hypnotized person in a display window. These excerpts are from the book "Loony Laws" by Robert Pelton (Walker; $8.95) Enjoy!
In Clawson, Mich., there is a law that makes it LEGAL for a farmer to sleep with his pigs, cows, horses, goats, and chickens.
In Gary, Ind., persons are prohibited from attending a movie house or other theater and from riding a public streetcar within four hours of eating garlic.
In Miami, it's illegal for men to be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
In Detroit, couples are banned from making love in an automobile unless the act takes place while the vehicle is parked on the couple's own property.
In Harford, Conn., you aren't allowed to cross a street while walking on your hands.
In Nicholas County, W. Va., no member of the clergy is allowed to tell jokes or humorous stories from the pulpit during a church service.
In California, animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
In Los Angeles, a man is legally entitled to beat his wife with a leather belt or strap, but the belt can't be wider than 2 inches, unless he has his wife's consent to beat her with a wider strap.
In Kentucky, "No female shall appear in a bathing suit on any highway within this state unless she be escorted by at least two officers or unless she be armed with a club"
An amendment to the above legislation: "The provisions of this statuate shall not apply to females weighing less than 90 pounds nor exceeding 200 pounds, nor shall it apply to female horses." In Grand Haven, Michigan, no person shall throw an abandoned hoop skirt into any street or on any sidewalk, under penalty of a five- dollar fine for each offense.
In Russell, Kansas, it is against the law to have a musical car horn.
A Glendale, California, ordinance permits horror films to be shown only on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Wednesdays.
Cicero, Illinois, prohibits humming on public streets on Sundays.
Hunting with a rifle is permitted in Norfolk County, Virgina - provided that the hunter is fifteen feet off the ground.
You may water your lawn on Staten Island, New York, provided that you hold the hose in your hand while doing so; but to lay a hose on the lawn or to use a sprinkler for watering your lawn is unlawful.
Clinton County, Ohio, calls for a fine for anyone caught leaning against a public building.
Loins may not be taken to the theater in Maryland.
Abilene, Texas, makes it illegal to idle or loiter anyplace within the corporate limits of the city for the purpose of flirting or mashing. From kralickr @ interlynx.net Thu Feb 29 02:50:57 1996 Subject: funny laws
I'm not sure which jurisdiction in TX (I think it was Waco, but I can't be sure):
It is illegal to walk around with a concealed ice cream cone.
Rich Ontario, Canada From bholton @ ix.netcom.com Thu Feb 29 21:17:25 1996 Subject: Stupid Laws
I just was wondering if you wouldn't mind a few more law additions to your Stupid Laws file. IIRC these laws are still on the books.
In Carmel, CA, it is illegal to eat ice cream while standing on the side walk.
In Prunedale, CA, it is illegal to have two indoor bathtubs in your house.
Glen posts:

Let's remember our morality, though. Virginia recently bragged about supplying $435 (or $485, I can recall which) million to schools and old folks from the...state lottery. It's OK when the politicos say it is.

Oddly enough, this makes a kind of sense. Tree stands are usually about 15 feet up, and force the hunter to fire downwards, limiting bullet travel in case of a miss.
Charlie Self "It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable." Eric Hoffer

Well, I'm certainly not going to visit St. Louis, then!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Have you taken a look at their website? http://www.sawstop.com /
They're pushing their own line of contractor saws and cabinet saws now and tehy've got sawstop for bandsaws. What's next? A sawstop for my tv remote, to keep me from injuring my finger while channel surfing , maybe?

Personally I have no problem with someone trying to earn a living. Manufacturing their own line? - more power to them. It's when they try to get the legislature to force others to use it that I draw the line.
Vic

be
sawstop
year.
In typed:

Here is text taken directly from their FAQ page; http://www.sawstop.com/faq.htm#1
Can the SawStop system be used with other types of woodworking equipment?
The SawStop system can be used with practically any type of woodworking equipment, such as miter saws, chop saws, radial arm saws, circular saws, sliding table saws, jointers, band saws, shapers and the like. The electronics, detection and firing systems are the same, with the brake mechanism tending to vary between different types of woodworking equipment.
CSounds great to me...can't wait to order mine!
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

You can *order* one any time you like, no waiting.
It's actually *getting* one that you have to wait for.
In wrote:

No, they are being delivered as we speak!!
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Are they really? Or is that more of their hype?

C'mon Doug - didn't Steve Gass say he has two of them in the field... even as we speak?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Meaning what, precisely? That he has two hand-built prototypes out for testing?
He did not say they were in production. He did not say they were shipping. He did not say they were in inventory.
This is the kind of statement you need to be very suspicious of. It sounds like more than it's actually saying.
--RC
Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

even
Ahem... psssssttt... that was (not-so)cleverly disguised sarcasm. You're expressing my point. Those two - or what ever number (small) though they may be, are the ones that have been there since the beginning. It's very suspicious when you hear claims that make it sound like production is up, things are shipping, stuff in the field and then the only information you can find points to the same two or three that have been there for a couple of years. That's getting some mileage out of those units. Credibility suffers.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
In typed:

Maybe to someone who has absolutely no vision?
--
Ted Harris
http://www.tedharris.com

Or perhaps to someone who understands how the world works.
--RC
Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

I'm really not interested in what Steve Gass claims, as he's hardly an unbiased source. I'd put much more stock in a statement by someone not affiliated with SawStop, who says that he actually has one in his shop.
I haven't seen that yet.

even
G'dambit Doug - quit bending over when I'm taking aim...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

If they are Ted, there's no such indication on the web site. Everything on the web site is pre-order only.