Sanding disc problem

I'm not getting good life out of the 2-inch chuckable hook and loop sanding discs I use for lathe work. The hook and loop material quickly loses its grab and the 1/2 inch thick pad starts coming apart almost at first use. A dmittedly this is with a sample of two discs. These are the Woodcraft disc s and at about $12 apiece a bit too costly for one per project. I'm using this on a right-angle drill at variable speeds with the lathe at about 300 rpm. Any thoughts?
Larry
On 3/1/2014 8:17 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:

Maybe too much pressure, that usually does the damage. let the sandpaper do the work w/o pushing too high.
--
Jeff

Gramps' shop wrote:

with a blast of compressed air.
I used the "Wave" disks for awhile, but the glue is poor and the paper flies off the hook & loop layer. Past few years I have used the AO with lubricant from Klingspor with a chuckable hook pad. Between the paper & pad I use the little 1/4" thick soft pad. When the soft pad wears out just throw it away and put on another. That way if it gets too hot it will only deform the hooks of the pad and not the chuck part. That was my problem until I started watching the heat build up.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/category.aspx?id !&f1=2%22+X+NO+HOLE&f3=STEARATE+A%2fO
--
 GW Ross

 Every vision has an equal and
Thanks, GW. Tell me more about the 1/4 inch soft pads. Source? Larry

Gramps' shop wrote:

Here is one link. Most that I found today are 1/2 inch thick. Anyway they come in soft, medium, and harder.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003740/1684/New-Wave-2-Medium-Interface-Backing-Pads.aspx
Being a cheapskate, when the hooks wear out, I sand them flat then stick on more from some industrial hook and loop strips I bought at Lowe's. Then trim the stuck on to the size of the pad. So my pads are several years old.
Also, I chuck my disk holder and pad into a drill and resize to a little less than 2" by holding it to the belt sander while both are running. Seems to work better if a little of the sanding disk is hanging over the edge all round.
--
 GW Ross

 Every vision has an equal and
"Gramps' shop" wrote:
Thanks, GW. Tell me more about the 1/4 inch soft pads. Source? ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Do a Google for "3m stikit".
It's an entire product line aimed at the automotive finishing market.
Also used to fair out a boat hull, at least I used it.
Find an automotive finishes dealer and pick their brains for your app.
Have fun.
Lew