Unobtainable sanding disc?

Excellent for rough sanding of wooden boat hulls etc, wherever the odd dig-in whirl does not matter. I managed to snap, on a proud nail, the coarse grade version of this sanding disc

and back view The copper colour is just a finish to the backing material of thin steel disc. Both bought perhaps 25 years ago and both done hundreds of hours of use. Surprisingly the Black & Decker code number U1302 still relates to the rubber backing pad. Does anyone know if its possible to get the carbide impregnated discs?, what the generic product name might be?

-- some local trivia

N Cook

Think I still have one somewhere..BUT they are now considered unsafe I think.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used them for shaping ceramic tiles. They cut them like butter, time after time.

Reply to
EricP

Seem to recall the name Citrite or something similar, no longer available.

Reply to
Scabbydug

Not generic perhaps, but the name 'Cintride' pops into my head...not that I see that immediately on their website, although they do sheets of the stuff that can be cut...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I remember the term centride which doesn't seem to mean anything to google

BTW the most dangerous situation I witnessed involving hand tools. Somone rooting around in achippy's sackcloth tool bag and found a very large Yankee screwdriver in its retracted state. Intrigued by this he moved the latch and the shaft shot out stopping about an inch from his eye.

Reply to
N Cook

Would that be Cintride?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Black & Decker do a similar disk

Don Spumey

DM tools have it:

A Google on X32132 should give more leads, though double check it's the tungsten carbide disc you're getting.

Happy? ;)

Pete. Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks mucho for that. :))

Reply to
EricP

A similar disc, but for use with a 115mm angle grinder is available from SCREWFIX as item number

64298-87, page 132 of latest catalog. In this case it is called a Tungsten Carbide grinding disc.

Ian.

Reply to
Ian French

and X32127 for the coarse version seems spot on, 2 of each should keep me going for a couple of decades, why termed mesh ?

and Decker X32127 Mesh Sanding Disc (1) 125mm Coa [b/dx32127]

£2.78 [£2.37 ex VAT] Black and Decker X32127 Mesh Sanding Disc (1) 125mm Coa Condition New Stock Code b/dx32127 Manufacturer Black & Decker Manufacturer Code X32127
Reply to
N Cook

numbers, it will cost me £10 for two, but I think worth it.

Reply to
clot

I was mistaking Tungsten Carbide for Emery a very brittle substance that I have never thought a useful tool in woodworking. It turns out to be one of the many interesting materials invented in the last century:

comments on the diamond like material mentioned in the piece? (Newer coatings, known as DLC (Diamond Like Coating) are beginning to surface, enabling the cutting power of diamond without the unwanted chemical reaction between real diamond and iron.)

I always wondered where the mass of diamond now reaching the construction industry was coming from.

This is from the Glugg on Centride Disks:

TC Abrasive Discs

Extremely effective disc for use with all types of power drill. The near diamond hard tungsten carbide surface has over 100 times the life of sandpaper. Minimum effort gives rapid results on plaster, fibreglass, paintwork, wood, tiles, plastic laminates and glass. Use with a Cintride backing pad for the best results

Weatherlawyer

it would seem not one of those lumps has dislodged in hundreds of hours of use and occassional abuse, hitting nails and screws. It is possible to prize off these angular lumps of carbide with a screwdriver blade though. Traditional lapping discs have diamonds just pushed into copper, but you can't do that with steel.

-- some local trivia

N Cook

It's usually nickel (or copper/nickel/copper layers) plating onto a steel backer. The grit (carbide or diamond) is lightly attached enough to hold it in place during plating, which deposits around and over it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley