Sad departures

Page 2 of 3
Morris Dovey wrote:

Generally, just accessing a web page makes a copy and places it on your computer. Look in your cache and see just how much stuff is in there. I doubt anyone would get in trouble for having stuff freely available on the web on their computer. Selling it, using it publicly and so on could cause trouble, but simply copying stuff for personal use goes on just by accessing the page. If you don't want it copied, you probably shouldn't put it on a publicly accessible web page.
--
Jack
Obama Care: Efficiency of the DMV, compassion of the IRS!

If you don't want it copied, then copyright it. If you don't want it copied for Personal use, don't put it on a public web site.
On 4/8/2010 11:49 PM, LDosser wrote:

If your neighbors have that same opinion, you probably shouldn't park on a public street.
Under international law, the copyright exists from the instant of creation - and it exists without regard to location of its object.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I lock my car. You?

If you put it on a web site open to the public, you have no protection from Personal use. Zero.
On 4/9/2010 3:54 AM, LDosser wrote:

I also lock my car, but locks only keep the honest folks out.

In my case at least, I /intend/ personal use. For other uses, my protection comes after the fact and offers the advantage of being paid for by the offender. For more info you can contact
McKee, Voorhees & Sease, PLC 801 Grand Ave, Suite 3200 Des Moines, IA 50309
They're worth every penny of their fees. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

And make it more difficult for the dishonest folks.

For other uses I agree with you completely!
There are ways to protect your web site. google 'protect site download' - substitute 'site' with 'page' or 'image' for more info.

Morris wrote:

----------------------------------------- "LDosser" wrote:

-------------------------------------------- Had two brother-in-laws who were insurance agents and also sold a lot of auto insurance.
Would listen to them tell tales of auto theft that were amazing.
Both agreed that if a car thief walked up to your locked car and took more than two(2) minutes to break in, start up and drive away, they were still learning the profession.
As Morris said, locks keep honest people honest.
Lew

They also keep the less determined people out. If a thief is looking for an easy target, locking the door may convince them to go to the next one.
Puckdropper

"Puckdropper" wrote:

------------------------------------ Might work in the boonies, but in a major population center, such as here in SoCal, they steal to order which usually translates into a thief who specializes in stealing only certain vehicles.
If they have an order for your vehicle, it's toast.
They could care less about a door lock.
The thief can probably open your car, start it and drive away in less time than you can open the door and get key in the lock.
Now if he is using a tow truck, that's another story.
Lew
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 01:13:17 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

Yeah. With the new towtrucks, you back up to the vehicle, press one single button, and the truck does the rest. You're on your way 18 seconds later. Amazing!
--LJ, who hurt his back attempting to assemble a towing dolly at extension.
-- Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. -- John Muir

Met any teens lately?

Lock it?
I don't even take the keys out. When I get a new/different vehicle, I take the key off the ring stick it in switch and that is where it stays, afterall someone might want to use it.
I do unkey and lock my company vehicle if I'm away from home, it's not mine and I don't need the grief of letting it get "borrowed".
basilisk
On 4/9/2010 8:43 AM, basilisk wrote:

Ahhh, the benefits of boondock living ... :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Morris Dovey wrote:

Are you thinking you broke "international" law when you quoted (copied/edited) someone's writing in a rec post, or do you think there is some sort of implied permission to copy this copyrighted material?
I know Google must have copied trillions of copyrighted messages. I don't recall allowing them to copy any of my messages and putting them up for all to see, making money from all the ads my stuff is generating... How about that?
--
Jack
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong
On 4/9/2010 12:49 AM, LDosser wrote:

He does. So do you. By law in the United States, anything you write is automatically copyrighted. Your kids' first scribblings are copyrighted. No action is required. Some additional rights accrue if you _register_ the copyright, however that is not necessary for a valid copyright to exist. Everything you or I post to USENET is copyrighted and if something you posted showed up in a bestseller sometime without your prior permission being obtained you would probably be able to collect damages.
On the other hand, quoting on USENET almost certainly falls under "fair use", and unless somebody has profited significantly from unauthorized use of your post the chance of obtaining damages sufficient to pay your legal fees is pretty much zero.

Copying for "personal use" is in any case not necessarily precluded by copyright, depending on what exactly you are copying and on the nature of the "personal use"--it comes under "fair use" and "fair use" is a minefield for both the holder of the copyright and the person making the copy, because it's almost all case law and there's a lot of it, some of which is probably contradictory.

If you can find the author or webmaster's e-mail address, you can ask before downloading the site. If you can find it... Most webmasters have removed their e-mail addresses due to the amount of spam, and don't check the webmaster@ e-mail address (again, due to spam.)
Puckdropper

On 4/8/2010 11:05 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

That's true - if the author can't be asked for permission and permission isn't explicitly granted on the web site, then there is no permission.
The spammers have worked hard to be a problem. Since I /want/ feedback, I've implemented a solution that works for me - I've put an e-mail link on (I think) every one of my web pages that provides a subject appropriate to that page - and most of those subject lines contain some keyword that expresses that e-mail past the server filters. Since the spambots universally disregard the subject portion of the link, the strategy has worked fairly well.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Although my site never quite died, I made it fade away for a while.
Folk who like to list useful links might like to know that I've recently restored it, somewhat edited, to its former state.
Jeff
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Jeff: So glad to have what you so freely share and I highly value accessable. Many thanks.
Yo Group:
I started this thread and, since I've lurked about on the rec long enough to know better, I'm not surprised to see the direction it took. I'm not interested in debating intellectural property and copyright protection. Actually, I'm interested in woodworking. One day I hope to acquire the necessary skill and have the time to post web pages showing my shop, my projects, my jigs, etc. I have thoroughly enjoyed these posts from others who have freely shared their experiences. I have learned a lot and expect to learn more. When I do post, I expect anyone who sees my postings to be able to copy, save, share and use what they see and enhance their wood working experiences. I would also like feedback and a "thank you", but that's not neither necessary nor expected.
As I've said before, I've lerned an awful lot because others have taken the time to post and, kinda like a debt, I expect to contribute back some as well. I see this group like I see my wood working club. A collection of folk who will freely share their skills and teach others.
I am a hobbiest. Perhaps, if I did this for a living, I might not want to share info so freely, but I expect I would not enjoy this endevour as much.
So again, I'm sad to see some of the quality sites slip away and I celebrate the opportunity to visit great sites (like Jeff's) that are "here and now".
Bill
Bill Leonhardt wrote:

Well said! --the other Bill