Rules of Thumb

Page 1 of 2
Hey, there's a new site out there called Rules of Thumb (http:// www.rulesofthumb.org/) that centralizes common and uncommon sense on all manner of subjects. There isn't a category for woodworking, but there should be one. I think the rec.woodworking community might want to put some of our wisdom up there.

Best one is to still have two..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Keep rules (especially metal ones) and thumbs away from the sharp spinny things.
:-)
jc
Many years ago I had two weeks of marine firefighter training at Texas A&M. When we studied BLEVE's, (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosions) he told us a good rule of thumb about such fires. "Hold your thumb up at arms length and close one eye. When you can hide the entire event behind your thumb, you are far enough away."
DonkeyHody "There's a difference between doing things right and doing the right things."

That works well for telling your wife that you just bought a new tool also. ;~)

Unless she's a good shot..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Yeah, there is that. LOL

mac davis wrote:

Flashing on Lyudmila Pavlichenko.
--John

Being from Texas I practically grew up with a gun in my hands. She on the other hand does not even want to look at one. Her looks could kill though. ;~)

Makes sense to me.. could be applied to manual labor, also..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Is he a neighbor down there in Baja?
Keep your thumbs on the outside of any piece you're resawing with the bandsaw, just as if you were bricking a camel.

Nope, he stands around at the cantina looking for odd jobs.. He did a great job on our patio pavers.....*g*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Woodworking Rules of Thumb
Rule #1 Keep your thumb(s) and other parts of your body safely away from sharp things, spinning or not.
"charlieb" wrote:

Rule #2
If in doubt, refer to Rule #1.
Lew

Ok, you just caused a loop, you fix it. ;~)

No no no. That's not rule #1. The first rule of thumb I learned was:
Do not hit a thumb nail with the same force as you would use to hit a wood nail.

Basic law of nature is that we have thumbs and cats don't.. That's why they have US open doors for them..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Nahh, that's just exercising dominance over the lesser race. Cats are quite capable of opening their own doors.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

As the old saying goes, dogs think they're human, cats think they're gods :-).
Saw a neat rule today - Never play leapfrog with a unicorn :-).
On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:23:04 -0800, Larry Blanchard

On my regular email sig:     To a dog you're family; to a cat you're staff.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite