Rules of Thumb

Hey, there's a new site out there called Rules of Thumb (http://

that centralizes common and uncommon sense on all manner of subjects. There isn't a category for woodworking, but there should be one. I think the rec.woodworking community might want to put some of our wisdom up there.

Reply to
Bobthepenguy

Best one is to still have two..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Keep rules (especially metal ones) and thumbs away from the sharp spinny things.

:-)

jc

Reply to
Joe

Many years ago I had two weeks of marine firefighter training at Texas A&M. When we studied BLEVE's, (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosions) he told us a good rule of thumb about such fires. "Hold your thumb up at arms length and close one eye. When you can hide the entire event behind your thumb, you are far enough away."

DonkeyHody "There's a difference between doing things right and doing the right things."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

That works well for telling your wife that you just bought a new tool also. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Makes sense to me.. could be applied to manual labor, also..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Unless she's a good shot..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Woodworking Rules of Thumb

Rule #1 Keep your thumb(s) and other parts of your body safely away from sharp things, spinning or not.

Reply to
charlieb

Rule #2

If in doubt, refer to Rule #1.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, there is that. LOL

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Is he a neighbor down there in Baja?

Keep your thumbs on the outside of any piece you're resawing with the bandsaw, just as if you were bricking a camel.

Reply to
George

Flashing on Lyudmila Pavlichenko.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Being from Texas I practically grew up with a gun in my hands. She on the other hand does not even want to look at one. Her looks could kill though. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Ok, you just caused a loop, you fix it. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

No no no. That's not rule #1. The first rule of thumb I learned was:

Do not hit a thumb nail with the same force as you would use to hit a wood nail.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Nope, he stands around at the cantina looking for odd jobs.. He did a great job on our patio pavers.....*g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Basic law of nature is that we have thumbs and cats don't.. That's why they have US open doors for them..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

fthumb.org/) that centralizes common and uncommon sense on

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Nahh, that's just exercising dominance over the lesser race. Cats are quite capable of opening their own doors.

Reply to
J. Clarke

As the old saying goes, dogs think they're human, cats think they're gods :-).

Saw a neat rule today - Never play leapfrog with a unicorn :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard