Thumb locks

Hi, I'm looking for a thumb lock, the sort of lock you would have on a bathroom door that has a knob on one side and a screwdriver / penny slot on the other. BUT I need one with a knob on both sides! All the ones I have found on the web have the more traditional set up and looking at the illustrations I can't see if the splined / square rod is removable from the knob, if it was I would just buy two and mix and match to make up what I need. Does anyone have experience of these and could pass comment? Failing that I think I will be making lots of phone calls

The reason for wanting this combination is to mount a discrete lock at the top of a door out of the reach of a child that can be quickly opened by an adult.

Reply to
Bill

What you describe is known as a privacy set and IME is always as you describe. The square rod is always adjustable/secured at the knob end (if you will excuse the language) - the slotted end being permanent.

If its out of reach for a child. it will be out of reach on both sides of the door?

Could that be a bolt?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

The word "permanent" is the one that I was afraid of!

Being out of reach on both sides is the intention. One side of the door is a "child friendly area", annexe, and the other is the kitchen of the main house. The idea being that an adult can be in the annexe area with the child and if need be another adult can come through the door in a hurry without worrying about keys but the child cannot open the door. Also sometimes there will be children on the house side of the door that we don't want to be able to open it too!! At a push I could fit a second normal door handle near the top of the door but this would then require a two handed operation to open it. So the idea of the "privacy set" lock seemed preferable as once unlocked it would stay that way leaving only the existing handle to be operated, also when not needed could be left unlocked.

Not sure how or what sort of bolt could be fitted that would allow for operation from both sides.

Complicated I know, maybe time for a bit of true DIY and some metal bashing.

Just to add interest to the place, after repeated power cuts over the last couple of days, I've been informed that I have to fit 5 emergency light units in the annexe too, 1 week after it has been completely redecorated and carpeted!!!

What joy..........

Reply to
Bill

And have you considered that some "adult" might unlock it and go through but not "lock" it on the other side therefore leaving the door vulnerable to be opened by some child . The other option with some form of "normal" handle with a sprung mortice latch would ,as you say ,require two hands if you also had a handle in the usual place but at least that would mean the door would be unable to be opened by kids, assuming it was closed properly by the previous user( unless you had some sort of closure fitted as well)

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

Ah, but since it's the removable self-clamping end that you want, why not just hacksaw off the "permanent" part and clamp a second knob on in its place?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

You could achieve the same sort of thing with a rack bolt, but you would have to modify the key to have a handle/knob on both sides of the door.

Rack bolt

Mark

What a stunningly good idea!

Well done that man.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

In message , Mark writes

Could be an inventive weekend :-)

Reply to
Bill

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

Indeed, thanks.

Reply to
Bill

Fit a Yale lock with the key permanently in place. That will be self locking.

Roger Dewhurst