Router speed for raised panels

Vertical bits don't have a speed limitation and don't need to be slowed down to something like 10,000 rpm. Useful for older routers without speed control. This is all aside from the fact that spinning a horizontal bit it quite a bit more scary and has a higher level of danger attached to it than a spinning vertical panel bit.

Reply to
Upscale

Upscale apparently said,on my timestamp of 5/08/2004 8:55 PM:

and you can't get undercut profiles in horizontal bits...

Reply to
Noons

I *think* that that's about what I was describing....

Reply to
bridger

I have the freud bit you are referring to. On the inside of the package is the safe speed at which the bit is supposed to run. It is extremely dangerous to run at any faster speed. Also, you are correct that you need a router with sufficient horsepower to work well with bits of this size at the slower speed. I own the Freud router. It works great, but if I were to get another one, I would get a Dewalt or a Porter cable, only because accessories are easier to find.

George

Reply to
George

... or backcutters in vertical bits.