Router speed for raised panels

Page 3 of 3

The OP said Freud bit, 3.5" diameter. Gotta be a horizontal bit. Greg
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:21:45 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

you are correct. the diameter is less, so the tip speed is less. another plus is that there is less variation in the tip speed from one end of the cutter to the other. vertical panel bits have a lot lower pucker factor for _me_.

I run mine full speed. I also run it in a horizontal router table so I can have the panels flat on the table, rather than trying to run them through on edge.

On 2 Aug 2004 15:12:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nbnet.nb.ca (Sean) wrote:

One of the reasons that I keep the shaper around instead of selling it is that I don't like doing raised panels on a router table.
It scares me.
When I used to use the router table I would waste as much wood as possible on the tablesaw before making the first pass on the router table.
The routers that I've used were all 3HP or better and either had variable speed or were used with a speed control. The first one was a Makita 3012 and the most recent one is a biggish Porter Cable.
15000 is way to fast in my book. On the shaper I make the roughing passes at 7000, with a slow feed rate and use the 10000 setting for the final pass at a higher feed rate.
If you stay with the router, try to take light cuts and work your way to the final cut in steps. You will get more chatter out of the router than the shaper, as it isn't beefy enough to resist the side loading.
If that router is fixed at a minimum of 15000, I'd get a speed control or another router.
A shaper or a beefier router is a lot less expensive than a hospital stay.
Regards, Tom.
OK, I think I got the point that 15,000 rpm is way too fast. Just to answer some of the questions raised in the postings: it is a horizontal bit, mounted in a router table with a variable speed router. The problem is the min speed on the router is 15,000 rpm. I think maybe the best thing to do is but myself the Hitach M12 or Freud 3+ HP router and then do it with a vertical bit or my horizontal bit with a speed of 8000 rpm. Both of these routers have this low speed, I think.
I guess the other option would be to buy a door, but there isn't much fun or creative energy put into that! LOL
Thanks a million for all your help
Sean
snipped-for-privacy@nbnet.nb.ca (Sean) wrote in message

I have the freud bit you are referring to. On the inside of the package is the safe speed at which the bit is supposed to run. It is extremely dangerous to run at any faster speed. Also, you are correct that you need a router with sufficient horsepower to work well with bits of this size at the slower speed. I own the Freud router. It works great, but if I were to get another one, I would get a Dewalt or a Porter cable, only because accessories are easier to find.
George