Making Raised Panel doors

Hi all:

I am planning to make some raised panel folding doors with a router. Is there anyplace I can go on the Internet to find step by step instructions. I am most concerned about making sure my measurements for the rails and stiles are bang on so the doors fit where they belong.

By the way, on the Router workshop this past Saturday, they SEEMED to be making rails and stiles but I think he called them coves and beads. Is that another phrase I need to keep in mind when I search?

Thanks in advance.

Richard Shelson

Reply to
Richard Shelson

get the Sommerfeld's Tools for Wood catalog. detailed instructions are excellent right inside the catalog. call them at 1-888-228-9268 or sommerfeldtools.com. The sell CMT router products.

dave

Richard Shels> Hi all:

Reply to
David

The coves and beads decorate the rails and styles. Cope and mold are also used.

Safer to make the panels a bit shy, because you can always leave a bit of extra room on either end of folding doors. PITA to have to shave 'em back.

Reply to
George

Try this -

Mike

Reply to
Poseidon

Just did my fifth and sixth set this weekend. I used the instructions from a (recent) article in Wood on raised panel doors. I liked their approach and their pictures helped. I'd head to the library and look in some back issues. Raised Panel doors is a popular topic; I'd venture a guess that says you wouldn't have to dig too far.

I used MCLS's Katana Ogee rail/stile cutters. They take a 3/8" bite. So for me on a set of full overlay doors the math behind rail length was this: (1/2 * Total Width (Edge to Edge)) - (2 x Stile Width) + (2 x 3/8")

My total opening was 33 1/2"; my rail/stile were 2" wide. (1/2 x 33.5") - (2x2") + (2 x 3/8") = 13 1/2" rail length.

The stile length is the size of the edge to edge or opening .

For my first set, I added an 1/8" - thinking I'd just make some final trims, knock off 1/16" here and there, on the table saw if needed. Turns out I didn't need to.

Several articles recommend cutting the stiles oversized, and trimming excess later. I also did that for the first set, but not for the others - didn't see the point.

On the panels, I took measurements from the dry fit frame, and then subtracting a 1/8" to leave a little room.

These were full overlay. I did my first set of inset doors this weekend. Math was same, except you measure the opening, not the edge to edge width.

Reply to
patrick conroy

It "depends" on many things but most of which is rail & stile sizes. The cutters also have a big part in the sizing.

Freud produces a matched pair(several) of rail & stile cutters and often give away an article published in American Woodworker on the entire, step by step process.

It's a "fold out sheet" and my tool dealer kept copies in stock for folks who purchased the Freud bit sets.

Richard Shels> Hi all:

Reply to
Pat Barber