Raised Panel Doors Software

I am new to raised panel doors (just got PC router and table setup). I made a few raised panel samples and it's cool. Now I like to use a software to calculate measurements for the pieces of wood.

I download a software, believe it's "Software for Woodworking". Since I am new, I think I could follow the diagram and measurements. I just print two sets (40x20 and 15x10) to try study from there.

If there's other software you experienced, could you post the link for me?

Is it generally common practice for the (top/bottom) rail and (side) stile set to 2 1/2" wide??

Per above statement (2 1/2" wide), until about how short (overall) width to start using narrower rail/stile width? I am asking because I foresee a project where I might will need to use a 5" overall width (two on each side, permanent, not doors).

Thanks.

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

Isn't it a lot easier just to use a tape measure, a pencil, and a piece of paper?

Jim

Reply to
Jim

If you use Sommerfeld's method, you'll be cutting them 2-7/16" due to the depth of the tongues on the rails. It makes calculations easier, because you cut the rails as if the stiles were 4" less than the width of the door. So for a 10" door, subtract 4" and cut the rails to 6". Then when the rails' tongues go into the groove in the stiles, you end up at 10" total width.

Dave

CNT wrote:

Reply to
David

Please understand that if your router bits cut different tongue & groove depths, then you would need to adjust accordingly. I find his method simple enough for a screw-up like myself to easily understand.

If you are making cathedral arches or other pattern cuts on the top rail, of course that rail will be taller; usually around the 4-1/4" range IIRC. Everything else gets cut to 2-7/16" widths.

Dave

CNT wrote:

Reply to
David

That is the best way I do it. My cutters cut 7/16 so my rails and stiles are 2 7/16. You will loose the 7/16 with the cope cut so your left with

2" > Please understand that if your router bits cut different tongue & groove
Reply to
Jody

Good point. I should have added for the OP that the panel should be cut

1/8" narrower than the rails (not exposed rail dimension, OP, the total rail length including tongues). That means width of door, minus 4-1/8". For the height of the door panel, subtract 4-1/8" from overall height of door (stile length). This applies only to straight rails; not cathedral, etc.

Dave

Jody wrote:

Reply to
David

Yes Chuck free software is available to help with cutting the parts for raised panels. Quite some time ago someone posted an Excel spreadsheet program that works good. It produces a dimensioned sketch and a cut list. I modified the program some and wrote additional programs to handle multiple panel assemblies. If you have Excel and are interested drop me an Email and I will see if I can find it for you. As for the width of rails and stiles something around 2 1/2" is common. However, other widths are used for large doors and multiple panel assemblies. Do to the cross grain nature of the rail to stile joint there is a limit to how wide you can go. In most situations widths up to 5" are okay. Earl Creel

Reply to
Earl Creel

Might be... I am just starting out with raised panels, so I just want to know what the options are "out there" and then learn of it.

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

I see. I didn't know that, that's why I am asking about it...

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

Again, I am "new" to this, so I will have to learn the new terminology for raised panels...

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

Yes, I would be interested... my email is as posted next to my name.

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

I get it... I will read it over again later to "get it" some more!

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

There are excellent instructions for making raised panel doors in the Sommerfeld catalog. It's free.

Dave

CNT wrote:

Reply to
David

On video or software? I looked in a website and seems it's on video?

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

I just did another sample following the software measurements. Since I have 3/8" bit depth, this made the rail 5 7/8". My final output total width is 10 1/8" (instead of 10").

After the sample panel, I found the panel have (total) 3/8" gap (play) and the top have 1/4" gap, is that a lot? When I did the paper/pen measurements, the gap was much tighter.

If my bit are 3/8" depth, what measurements should I use for the side width to make the rail minus 4" (example, for 10" width door, what it take to make the rail exact 6")?

Are the popular bit depth 3/8" or there are other sizes? I bought the 3- pieces for $60, to practice, along with pine boards (the pine sure scatter messy...)

I guess I will have to play around some more to learn right.

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

Also, which is used mostly? Rubber balls or two nails (top/bottom) to align the panels?

Another thing, while I have a templet for stile and cope, I will need to make a bigger one for the panel.

BTW, what are the 3 bits called as? Stile, Cope, and Panel?

Chuck

Reply to
CNT