raised panel bit

I have a Freud 3 piece raised panel set and the panel bit does not have a back cutter. I noticed some sets do. For my set do I have to do a back cut with a rabbet bit or something?

Reply to
habbi

Yes you will have to make a back cut. You can do it with the TS or on the router table with a straight cut bit elevated enough to make the panel fit the rails and stiles slots. I actually prefer this type set up as it lets you be more flexible when milling the raised panel.

Reply to
Leon

That's correct; though I have just flipped the panel over and done both sides the same.

Reply to
Toller

Yes, and like Leon I prefer the straight bit setup to a rabbeting bit. Or, you can mill your panel stock to 5/8" instead of 3/4" and leave the back flat. Depends on which look you prefer.

Reply to
LP

Thanks for the tips

Reply to