Roller Bearing Problem

I just noticed today that one of my roller bearings on my BS is frozen (bottom). I managed to free it, but it spins with a gritty feel to it. Can I soak this thing in oil or are they so sealed that it won't penetrate. Or will the oil dissolve and remove any remaining bearing grease?
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

I'd just replace it. They're not that expensive -- and this one sounds like it's shot.

Yep. If the bearing is shot, there's no temp fix or work around. Replace it before it destroys the motor from overheating or jes replace whole tool.
nb

I recently replaced all of them on my Delta BS. I think they were about $7 each at a local bearing supply company.

Ok. Thanks everyone. I think I'm gonna call Rikon tomorrow. Based on dealings with them in the past they are pleasant to work with.
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:27:25 -0800 (PST), GarageWoodworks

If you have a local bearing supplier in your town you can probably get them there. I don't know about Rikon but I know some manufacturers charge two or three times more than you can buy them locally or online. Be sure to specify a premium bearing.
Mike O.
"GarageWoodworks" wrote:

BTW, grease is nothing but oil suspended in a carrier.
To work properly, the oil in grease comes out of suspension when heated and returns to being suspended when it cools.
The amount of grease loaded into a ball and/or roller bearing is a long established art/science depending on how you look at it, or it was when I was involved in bearing applications.
Lew

Didn't know that. Thanks.

IIRC it is a sealed bearing. Once they make noise, they are shot. Look to replacing soon before it galls that it is attached to.