Emulating Scrub Plane

When I was at the WoodWorking Show, someone from LN/V showed me how to emulate a scrub plane. He was using a Low-angled plane with a blade that appeared to be ground with a lot of camber. Now I'm asking myself whether it would be helpful for it to be "dished" as well--or wouldn't that matter because of the amount of camber? I intend to try the same idea with my #5 Jack plane (comments welcome--please!). Intuitively, making the blade iron "dished" means removing more metal which seems bad.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

A jack with a fair amount of camber in the iron and an open mouth would have been the starting place for board preparation in centuries past.... then a jointer and then a smoother. The scrub is a relatively recent development!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Crowning the edge works well enough. Additional advantage is, when the narrow working part of the edge is dull, tilting the iron brings a sharp edge back into play.

The 5 will make a good scrub once you set the frog back.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Crowning the edge works well enough. Additional advantage is, when the narrow working part of the edge is dull, tilting the iron brings a sharp edge back into play.

The 5 will make a good scrub once you set the frog back. ____________

Thank you very much! And John Grossbohlin, thank you for the brief history lesson--I'm doomed to repeat it! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill