Rockler

Page 1 of 6
I thougth I had enough when I saw they had desiged "slots" for your bench for their bench cookies.
Now, this morning, I see they have a 3 piece "Glue Applicator Kit" ($14.99).
I hope you folks aren't encouraging them! ; )
Bill
On 9/19/12 10:34 AM, Bill wrote:

Have you used them? They are pretty cool. I suppose you could try to find some silicone material and make your own. Good luck with that. :-)
The first time you use one of those spreaders and peel all the glue off with one yank, it's worth the price of admission right then and there. I suppose if you'd rather use scraps of wood to spread your glue or foam brushes, you'll be happy. Those foam brushes start to add up and I never seem to have a clean one handy. Good luck cleaning the glue off of those. :-) To each his own.
Besides, in a couple months they'll be $9.99 with free shipping.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Besides being cheap, foam brushes come in multiple sizes.
My last two times through Rockler's cashier, I was offered a glue brush. The first time I asked hesitantly, "are they free?" and it was explained that they were $4.99 (IIRC). I passed. I later realized that they were too small for most of my purposes anyway. The markup on those must be outstanding...same as the bench cookies. Next thing you know, Harbor Freight and Rockler may join forces.
I think it would make the store Alot more exciting if they were a little bit more like a woodworking school. If they offer the right things I'll spend, but I'm not talking about a glue brush or a bench cookie! I'm not interested in turning a pen either! : ) Some visitors seem to enjoy seeing the carvers there on Saturday morning--I've seen them ask.
On 9/19/2012 4:44 PM, Bill wrote:

WTF does the perceived profit margin have to do with the value of a product if it saves you time? You may want to reconsider whether wood working is a hobby you can afford.
Leon wrote:

Did I say a high profit margin was a bad thing? In this case, I think it's comical. IMHO, Apple is more deserving of the one they have. And where the f. do you come accross talking to me like that?
On 9/19/2012 6:49 PM, Bill wrote:

Well, you brought it up, and you certainly brought it up in a manner that made it seem so.
> In this case, I think

Hopefully, with a good deal more woodworking experience under your belt, you'll better appreciate the fact that the cost to benefit ratio of many woodworking implements isn't always apparent to a novice.
ITMT, if it gets too hot in the kitchen, might want to reconsider firing up the stove in the first place ... :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 9/19/2012 6:49 PM, Bill wrote:

Sorry Bill, but then you mentioned the $5 price and passed and figured the profit must be outstanding.....hopefully you are not just now realizing that the less expensive the product the greater the profit margin. I have run businesses since I was 21 years old and am currently self employeed/retired. The perceived/comical mark up is a fact of life, and that is absolutely not a very recent development. Have you ever purchased valve stems with a set of tires. I used to sell them for an exorbitant price of $1 each in the mid to late 70's. I paid about 3 cents each for them. If inexpensive products did not have a high mark up they would not be worth stocking and taking up room on the shelf. How much would pay for that item if you had to have it shipped? Ever wonder what the cost of a caned soft drink costs the retailer? How about that $1.50 Coke at McDonald's, I can assure you that if there was not the cost of the paper cup the drink would be almost all profit and the reason free refills are offered.
Leon wrote:

I majored in economics (among other things). I have even worked in sales and run my own (small) businesses. I understand the dynamics of a transaction probably as well as anyone here.
On 9/19/2012 7:17 PM, Bill wrote:

And yet I had to explain this to you....
Leon wrote:

No, you didn't. That was my point. You made an inference because I wrote two sentences next to each other that they were directly-related. Then you brought out the F word, which we don't use in my house.
On 9/19/2012 7:51 PM, Bill wrote:

Bill you naturally assumed a particular F-word, it could have been any F-Word but that is where you went with it. Any way I apologise for getting up in your face but it is some what offensive to those of us that do spend money on items that you think are comically priced.
And yeah for an economics major you seemed to have forgotten a lot. What you find comical about retail pricing is pretty much 101 in most any type business degree.
Leon wrote:

Well, WTH does WTF mean???
it could have been any

Following your logic/economics, your decison of whether to buy something or not should have nothing to do with My perceived value of it (or whether I find its pricing humorous or not!) :)
You could laugh out loud about what I have been spending on wood carving gouges, but at least they are made out of good steel! ; )

Humor is all in the eye of the beholder. I laugh when the price of gas shoots up! ;)
On 9/19/2012 8:55 PM, Bill wrote:

Probably not, I own Festool tools. ;~)

I don't laugh but it most often makes my portfolio look better. ;~)

Have you checked out the new router table? It's a tad pricey but I probably have at least that in mine.

I just feel sorry for the Obama supporters. Fools.
On 9/20/2012 8:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I watched the wood whisperer give it a quicky review. I have not seen the price but changing the bit seems a bit involved if the fence has to be removed. I was not inspired. I'd like to see one up close though.

At least the ones with jobs. ;~O

Then perhaps Usenet is not the medium you should be using.
Markem wrote:

I like to think it works both ways. I brought some of me and my house onto the Usenet, and vice-versa. Time goes by too fast to put up lots of walls.

Take your pretentious ass somewhere else I am not in the mood for some crap from you.
Markem wrote:

Who the hell are you?

A person who has been using Usenet since 94. One who does not like your holier than thou attitude. A person who is ready to use the full color of the English language to express that dislike if I choose. You see I can do that here. There is not anything you can do to stop me from doing so.