removing pencil marks

If I'm using pencil I sort of hold it so it's nearly parallel to the surface of the wood and then the point doesn't jab in as much. This is also helpful when marking open pored woods like red oak or really checky wood like a lot of the jarrah/kari I see. White chalk is good too, but for some reason I never seem to have it around.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Your pencil marks, or did a crumb catcher scribble on something? (Usually a big difference)

I use a soft lead carpenters pencil, the rectangular ones..

The key, in MHO, is soft lead and only as much pressure as needed... you're marking, not scoring, right?

I usually kind of scribble a pattern of light lines on the surface before sanding, to help reference flatness as they get sanded off..

Pencil lead on the wood surface is easy to get rid of or "erase" with light pressure and fine grit paper, while grooves from heavy pressure on the pencil require courser grits and a lot of language that the grand kids aren't supposed to hear.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

But only leave the nails in until the glue dries..