Re: Wondering if these would help?

>> Larry Blanchard wrote: >>> Well, the tablesaw finally bit me this afternoon. I was ripping a >>> piece of padauk to 2.5" wide. I had my fingers hooked over the rip >>> fence and was pushing with my thumb and index finger. I'm still not >>> sure what happened, but at the end of the cut somehow my thumb slipped >>> and caught the back edge of the blade. >> > >> >> Y'know, I'm beginning to like the idea of those Grabber gizmos more and >> more. > > Upon reflection, I think what happened was that the wood started to fall > off the back of the table and while pushing down my thumb slipped > sideways. If so, the rollers wouldn't have helped, the wood would have > been past them. But I do use them a lot and like them. > > > >

Ever go to your butcher and see the guys cutting meat using those Chain Mail gloves. Not sure of the spelling but that could help if your fingers weren't forced into the blade. Just wonder if anyone would ever bother to put them on.

Reply to
evodawg

I'd think they may it more likely your hand was pulled into the blade... But in any event I suspect they would only offer a false sense of security.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Anything that would tend to catch on a sharp blade tip sounds like a bad idea to me. Chain mail mesh is great for long blades, but...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Not wise to use those with a table saw--it will pull the glove off and all the skin from your hand with it. They're fine for knives and chisels and maybe for meat slicers, but not for saws.

I use one when I'm slicing with a mandoline--now _that_ is a scary tool.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yeah that does make sense now that I've thought about it and you brought it to my attention.

Reply to
evodawg

I have one of those chain mail gloves bought at Lee Valley. But they are NOT and I can't emphasize strongly enough, NOT to be used anywhere near machinery. They're to be used in the presence of knives or other sharp manual tools, no machinery allowed.

Reply to
upscale

It was a thought and it looks like a bad one at that!

Reply to
evodawg