Strange (fungal?) growth on soil

Hi

For the last couple of years in the rockery there has been a strange growth on the soil. I get rid of it but it doesn't take too long to come back. The soil doesn't get too much direct sunlight which I think is partly the problem. Does anyone:

a) Know what it is b) Know how to get rid of it?! There are a number of established plants already growing so it would need to be without harming these.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advice

Matt

+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: P5200021.JPG | |Download:
mat0120

If it stays in the ground and off the plants, it is converting cellulose to nutrients for your plant.

Reply to
Billy

It isn't a fungus.

I would leave it alone. What is wrong with some green groundcover?

David Hare-Scott

Foliose lichen:

down and look for a picture on the right.

I say, leave it alone. It's beautiful.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Are you talking about the liverworts? Might as well leave them alone... they're not going to harm anything. They're representatives of the first line of green plants to diversify on dry land.

of them displacing a well established seed plant that is actually adapted to the growing conditions there is nil.

(Fungi are not photosynthetic!)

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Very pretty whatever they are. In fact I'd be trying to keep them as they remind me of the sort of vegetation that only grow on branches in places where the air is especially cleanr.

Reply to
Farm1

As others have pointed out it's a liverwort. They aren't harmful, but do form a very dense hard mat - particularly in damp, shady conditions. The main problem is that if the mat is complete, then self-seeding of any of the rockery plants will not take place as the seeds will not be able to get through the mat. Also, it is quite possible that the mat will prevent shoots pushing up from underneath.

Finally, although it's a bit theoretical, the fact that it is growing on a rockery isn't good. In general, rockeries are meant to be free-draining, and the presence of liverworts suggests it isn't. Some alpines grown in rockeries do not like to have damp around the stem as it can cause collar rot. Liverworts pushing right up to such a plant might encourage it, so at the very least try to clear them away from direct contact with the plant.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

As others have said this is Liverwort and grows in badly drained and damp areas. To get rid of it you need to improve the drainage of your soil by adding sharp sand. The only method I have found to kill it off altogether is by using glyphosate with some Fairy liquid.

Mick

harrisom66

the bulb is a maroon colour and the roots have a pink tone to them if that narrows anything down but thanks for the help :)

theyre already about a foot tall so should i give them some support ? would you be able to tell me any details on maintaining these plants ? id be greatful if you could.

zuhayr-123