We were wondering if . . .

One of those bull sessions that doesn't make sense until the third six pack has bween put away. We wandered on to the subject of ivory and how it's illegal to use it for carvings, etc. unless it's 100 years old. I wondered aloud whether there was any kind of rare wood that was in the same "illegal" catagory. Anyone know of any such?

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

Not illegal but Pink Ivory is tough to get permission to harvest.

Reply to
Leon

I think Koa ia at least extremely limited if not totally protected.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Well, there are a number of endangered species that can't be imported if they were cut after a certain date. I recall seeing a piece in one of the woodworking magazines about a new source of 'legal' Brazilian Rosewood. Small pieces were being milled from the stumps of trees cut down more than 30 years ago. The wood was considered to have been cut before the ban went into effect.

I don't know of any kind of wood which is as closely controlled as elephant ivory.

--RC

rcook5

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Koa is available in Oakland, CA at Earthsource. Large, beautiful slabs, and priced accordingly...

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Harveting of teak in Thailand is a capital offense.

Reply to
iandodd

Mon, Jan 3, 2005, 6:37pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net claims: Harveting of teak in Thailand is a capital offense.

How about expanding on that statement? I admit, been awhile since I was there, but teak was being extensively used at that time.

JOAT EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED.

- Death

Reply to
J T

(Assuming USA.) Cuban Mahogony from Cuba?

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

You can follow the bull at

ivory, for instance, and ivory sold from culling is still available.

As to the harvest of _wild_ teak, it is indeed a criminal offense in Thailand. Plantation teak is another matter.

problems arise as with ivory, however, as there is no differentiation between the baby and bathwater.

Reply to
George