Providence RI: TS and other wood workers

I am renewing an interest in woodworking and to that end looking to take a step up from an old craftsman table saw or a table-top saw.

I need to get the saw into the basement w/ 28" doorway...

My first projects are to be bookshelves and kitchen cabinets, but I have a couple of fine furniture projects in mind for the future.

Also, are their other people on this group from the Eastern CT to Cape Cod area?

Reply to
George Beshers

Is that a question, re: you've got a saw that won't fit through the doorway?

Not knowing the layout of your domicile, all I can suggest is to remove enough parts so that it fits. Usually removing the top from the base will work.

Reply to
Upscale

I'm in Mystic, CT.

As for the table saw dilemma - you can disassemble many saws (even cabinet saws) to some more reasonable pieces, but I'm not sure if the cabinet on my Unisaw would fit through a 28" space. Taking off the tables and motor wouldn't thrill me too much either, but if that's the only option you have, I guess it will be worth it. Your best bet is probably a high-end belt-driven contractor's saw in the 2HP range.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Just my overly terse way of saying that a large cabinet saw is probably not what I am looking for, but if the base wasn't much bigger than say

26x30 I would be interested.

Agreed.

PS. I forgot to say to remove the _nospam(s) to reply directly.

Reply to
George Beshers

I'm in Putnam CT.

You should be able to fit a contractor saw through the door. Mine came in a couple of cartons, but none of the components are all that large. With legs off it, I don't think it is more that 20" or so.

If, however, your questions is that you need help in getting it down the stairs, I'd be happy to help but I live in South Dakota that week. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

George,

A 28" doorway is pretty narrow. You're also going to have to concern yourself with getting your projects back through that opening. Your table saw dilemma may well wind up being the least of your worries, especially building kitchen cabinets.

Regards,

Joe

Reply to
Joe C.

I have sons home from college to help---paying tuition does leave one with certain advantages ;-).

Where do you go for wood?

Reply to
George Beshers

Yes, my wife has pointed out the same thing. Particularly for the kitchen cabinets final assembly will have to be on-site.

However, I am planning to look into carving and inlay projects after the kitchen is done and they should all fit.

Where are your interests?

Joe C. wrote:

Reply to
George Beshers

I get most of my wood from Connecticut Wood Group in Enfield, CT. Maybe 25% from Harris Enterprises in Manchester CT. I've never been there, but Downes and Reader in Stoughton MA is supposed to be OK. Woodcraft is OK if you only need a small amount as you can buy a part of a board. I did that when I wanted some Jatoba for trim.

Most of my tools come from Coastal Tools in W. Hartford CT. They also sell over the internet and have good prices.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I go to Downes and Reader and I think they are pretty good. They have a big selection of hardwoods, but all is kiln dried. Their hours aren't so good for the hobbiest since I think they cater to professional shops.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Nalen
.

Hey Ed,

Didn't realize you were only a short hop up the road from me. I'm in Griswold, right off exit 86!

Terry Sumner

Reply to
Terry Sumner

I pass you if I have to go to Home Depot at Lisbon Landing. I'm a mile off of exit 95. Stop in sometime if you are in the area.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

O.>

Will do. Been out sick all this week with a touch of pneumonia. Feel like crap right now. Am on antibiotics, but they don't seem to be doing much good so far. Ugh, ...hate feeling like this.

I got a gift card for HD ay Christmas...still gotta go and use it. I think I might pick up a couple of those Jorgenson clamps that are similar to the Bessey K's. (seeing's how they don't carry the Besseys anymore....) Not too much else there that I need or want.

Did you ever go to Woodworkers Warehouse in Norwich when it was still there? If so, I might've met you there as I worked there until it closed.

Terry

Reply to
Terry Sumner