Question on 220V A/c outlet

Doing some reno work in my brother-in-laws condo. Changed out the old FPE subpanel panel to a new one, worked out great. Now I am changing out the old outlets. One of them is a 220V A/C outlet that was originally connected to a 20A double polebreaker with 12 guage wire. The outlet looks like this:

My question is should I replace with the same kind? This outlet is only rated for 15A, meanwhile I have a 20A breaker. Do I need to put in a 20A outlet like this?

Mikepier

The outlet should be rated to at least the breaker.

What's plugged into it? While it is ok to have a 3 wire 220 outlet it is no longer ok to use the ground and neutral interchangably at the outlet. So many 220 appliances have switched to 4 wires with a 4 prong plug.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

If it is the only receptacle on the circuit (and 20A breaker and #12 wire) it should be 20A.

In any case, there is no reason not to use a 20A receptacle.

Reply to
bud--

Thanks. It is the only outlet for a wall A/C unit.

And the wire is 12/2 BX. So the metal clad is ground. The box is steel. I am still going to put a green ground wire tail from the box to the outlet.

Reply to
Mikepier

But doesn't BX already have a bare copper ground conductor? The metal sheath isn't the only ground connection -- at least, if I am remembering correctly from the last time I used it, about ten years ago.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

not OLD BX.

nate

Reply to
N8N

If it's the only receptacle on the circuit, it should match the breaker. So either replace it with the one you pictured, or you could use a 15A (or 20A) 240V duplex receptacle. Using a duplex device would allow you to use a 15A device because now there'd be more than 1 receptacle on the circuit.

(I would probably just leave it alone even though it is not technically correct)

-Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

AFAIK, 15 and 20A outlets are both UL tested for 20A; the only difference is the prong arrangement to not allow a 20A cordset to plug into a 15A outlet but the 15A plug is still ok w/ a 20A breaker.

I know this is so for 120V and while I didn't go look at the current UL protocol I'm virtually positive the same is true for 250V rated outlets.

True dat if replacing anyway or new work...but I don't believe there's any overriding reason to replace the existing "just because" or for Code reasons.

--

Reply to
dpb

** MC cable has an additional copper ground conductor
Reply to
RBM

** As Bud and DPB said, since you're replacing it, you may as well use the 20 amp receptacle
Reply to
RBM

The outlet should be rated to at least the breaker.

What's plugged into it? While it is ok to have a 3 wire 220 outlet it is no longer ok to use the ground and neutral interchangably at the outlet. So many 220 appliances have switched to 4 wires with a 4 prong plug.

**There is no neutral on a 240 volt air conditioner outlet, and grounds and neutrals were never interchangeable on such appliances.
Reply to
RBM

Yes, that is known as MC lite with the aluminum clad . But the old BX relied on the steel clad for a ground.

Reply to
Mikepier

** and the new BX (AC) lite relies on it's aluminum shield for it's ground.
Reply to
RBM

Exactly! Only the two hots and earth ground are necessary.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

On 4/1/2011 3:33 PM, dpb wrote: ...

UL 498 contains the following for overload testing--

"A flush or self-contained receptacle having a 5-15R, 5-20R, 6-15R or

6-20R configuration shall be subjected to the overload test described in this Section."

So the section covers both 125V and 250V together w/ the same test reqm'ts.

--

Reply to
dpb

Oooohhh...it's written slightly different than I thought regarding the test load, though...the load is 150% of the rated load for the device rather than a specific test load that I thought I remembered.

So, if manufacturers really want to scrimp and test the devices as separate, they can get by w/ 22-1/2A test load for 15A device and a 30A for 20A device. I don't know if they go to that extreme or not...

--

Reply to
dpb

All but the very oldest BX cable had a flat bonding conductor inside that was to be used, NOT the sheath. The new BX (plastic insulated cable instead of rubber, with "raffia" liner) virtually all had a bare copper ground.

Now, to get down to the real differences on CURRENT spiral wound metallic sheithed cable.

There are 3 basic types, MC, AC, and MC/AP

MC has an insulated green or green and yellow ground. AC has a bare copper ground. MC/AP has a full sized copper ground wire attached full length to the sheath, allowing the sheath to be used as safety ground - but that wire is cut flush with the sheath and REQUIRES special connectors where the cable enters the metal box.

Reply to
clare

I don't know where you come up with your nonsense. For one thing, the bonding wire inside some AC cable was to assure a fault current path, and was never connected to anything . I have several coils of AC cable in my truck, none of which have a grounding conductor, copper, or otherwise, insulated or bare.

Reply to
RBM

** FYI, AC cable was invented at the turn of the century by Gus Johnson and Harry Greenfield. "BX" was never a code designation, just a name given to AC cable made by GE's Sprague division. The bonding conductor wasn't required until the 1959 Nec and was never used as a ground, only to assure a clean grounding path against the metal coils of the sheath
Reply to
RBM

MCAP is a relatively new standard. Look up southwire mcap. Nolan has some good info on it.

I depended on Northern cable's site for the rest of my information, which was incomplete. There are a lot more than 3 types of spiral wound metallic cable. I checked with Allied cable, one of the larger cable manufacturers. According to THEIR specs: MC-TUFF cable is steel, MC Lite is aluminum, MC Lite ig is insulated ground aluminum. all,with no integrated bond , and with the conductors taped

HCF90 is green steel with insulated ground and bare bonding connector. HSF Lite is the same but aluminum. For HEALTH CARE applications.

AC90 is steel with an integrated bond ribbon AC Lite is aluminum with an integrated bond All AC cable have the conductors wrapped with paper or raffia

And I'll be danged if I can figure out what they would call the hundreds of feet of aluminum sheathed cable with aluminum integrated bond strip AND bare ground wire I pulled last fall would be called - obviously not made by Allied.

It met the description given by Northern for their AC spec cable. (and was LIKELY Northern cable - I don't have the rolls kicking around to check

What brand is your "ac" cable that does not have an aluminum bonding strip, and is it steel (ac) or aluminum (ac lite). Sounds like MC cable rather than AC if it has no bond ribbon. Is it paper separated, or plastic "taped"?

And years ago, it was all "BX"

Reply to
clare