Question about grout removal

I want to buy something that will remove a thick line of tile grout behind my kitchen sink. What kind of electric type saw/remover do I need to do it quickly and easily? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it because it won't be used often, and I don't want to use one of those little hand tools with the teeth. Thanks.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

harbor freight multitool with the grout attachment

Reply to
chaniarts

TY

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Dremel tool, with grout bit and guide. Behind a sink may not have room for the guide...probably two inches wide.

Reply to
norminn

TY, I hadn't considered that, there isn't much room there.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Are your plans to regrout? Manually scraping out a small area of grout is really not that bad.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Are your plans to regrout? Manually scraping out a small area of grout is really not that bad. ========

I am. It's not just behind the sink, it's about 4 feet long due to THE GROUT DOCTOR S.O.B doing such a lousy job that the seam is really wide and ugly, he just put new grout over the old grout and totally uneven at that. It's nasty looking and I just had new trim tile put around the sink, so it's got to go because it looks twice as bad now.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I assume that the grout is a joint between tiles. With care, you can probably scratch out enough of the old grout to make a bed for replacement grout. Use the saw or a utility knife. Just be sure to bleach and clean it well, apply sealer after new grout is hard (usually

2-3 days, per package directions).
Reply to
norminn

It is. TY

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Someone gave me an old inkject printer and it spilled ink on my bathroom floor and the grout. I used s screwdriver to scrape out the grout but kept having to go deeper, and eventually made a wweapon as lethal as any Rambo has used. Fortunately I have plenty of screwdrivers, so now I call this something else.

Don't know about this guy, but I guess if I'd known how deep the red ink went, I could have used the special hand tool with the offset handle for removing grout. Isn't it hardeneed or something?

Reply to
mm

I do believe I saw inexpensive grout removal tools at Harbor Freight.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I would have scraped the surface and touched the stain with paint. Little bottles of acryllic hobby paint come in very, very handy.

Reply to
norminn

That works, but it is neither quick nor easy. Not cheap, either. Those bits are expensive, though you can save 70% by buying them online.

Reply to
krw

That might have been a good idea too. I ended up regrouting with a grout that doesn't quite match anyhow. Althugh no one will notice but me.

Reply to
mm