RE: Squaring Rough Lumber

Page 2 of 7
On 6/15/11 2:09 PM, CW wrote:

Bullshit. If you're not willing to explain it, you shouldn't be here.
If all you're going to say is, "Well, *I* can do it, and if you can't can't, you're just a poopyhead," then everyone in here is going to call you on your bullshit. Either the bullshit of lying about it or the bullshit of being a douche-bag by not explaining how you do it.
--

-MIKE-

Don`t let the trolls get you down, here. Most of them are the same person supporting the group`s destruction.
It will become obvious after a few experiences with the same techniques using multiple personalities.
--------------
"CW" wrote in message <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>(same old demanding snipes snipped)</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Otherwise, I'm calling bull$h!t.&nbsp;&nbsp; :-)</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=

Yes it does.
On 6/14/2011 7:48 PM, CW wrote:

Correct ... but only on those high parts of the board that the knives hit does it effectively reduce the relative overall cup, bow or twist of the stock.
BUT, that doesn't necessarily have the desired effect of dimensioning a board to even thickness throughout its length.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Are you in the UK where a "planer" is the device that in the US is known as a "jointer" and the "thicknesser" is the device that in the US is known as a "planer"?
Because a US "planer" does little to correct bow or twist unless you construct a special sled to support the board in the bowed or twisted state.

===================== Or his tension rollers are shot and not working
--
Eric

Now I'm even more confused.
I have here a planer/thicknesser. The top is an Aluminium bed with a slot running across it at right angles, through which blades protrude which rotate at high speed. I pass timber along the bed and the blades remove wood, flatening the timber - hopefully! That's a planer.
Beneath the bed there is an aperture running through the body of the machine, having a platform which can be raised up towards the underside of the bed and hence the rotating blades. The platforn height controls the amount of wood removed from the top side of any timber passed through it and hence its resulting thickness. That's a thicknesser.
However, mostly I just reach for my Stanley No7.
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011

In the USA, we call that a jointer.
And the wood that we use for cabinetmaking, we call "lumber". "Timber", here, means standing trees which will eventually become lumber. "Timber" is also used, less frequently, to refer to very large wooden beams.

In the USA, we call that a planer.

We call that a plane -- as I imagine you do too.

Reading this group for quite a while now, I had always assumed the term referred to some some sort of machine for cutting various joints in wood. That's what the name suggests.

Timber: "(n) wood suitable for building or carpentry whether growing or cut, a beam or large piece of wood in a framework, as of a house, ship &c" Lumber: "(n) Furniture stored away out of use: anything cumbersome or useless"
Yes, I have become accustomed to the (mis-)use of these words round here.

You really are a strange lot.

Actually, with its length of 22" it's known as
<g>
a jointer!
Yes it's a plane.
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011

Well, now you know what the Americans on the group are talking about. :-)

Apparently those definitions came from a UK dictionary, perhaps the OED?
These are from the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (perhaps misnamed; ... of the American Language might be a better title):
Timber: "Trees or wooded land considered as a source of wood." Lumber: "Timber sawed into boards, planks, or structural members... "

We often think that about you too. :-) What was it Churchill called us, two countries divided by a common language?

Actually, planes that long are called "jointer planes" here. And that doesn't create any confusion for us at all.
Dougy knows everything about everybody.
------------------------
"Doug Miller" wrote in message wrote:

Well, now you know what the Americans on the group are talking about. :-)

Apparently those definitions came from a UK dictionary, perhaps the OED?
These are from the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (perhaps misnamed; ... of the American Language might be a better title):
Timber: "Trees or wooded land considered as a source of wood." Lumber: "Timber sawed into boards, planks, or structural members... "

We often think that about you too. :-) What was it Churchill called us, two countries divided by a common language?

Actually, planes that long are called "jointer planes" here. And that doesn't create any confusion for us at all.

Oopsies, Eric accidentally top-posted. I guess old habits die hard.
A quick look at the Details makes it clear: Josepi and Eric have the same street number.

Yes, I was thinking along those lines too. :-)
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011

^^^^^ Sawn, surely!
--
Stuart Winsor

Midland RISC OS show - Sat July 9th 2011

Surely.
Quarter sawn lumber. Sawed off shotgun.
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 06:22:35 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

Ah, but you're forgetting the "regularization" of verbs promoted by the publishing industry :-). I still wince when I hear things like "pleaded" instead of "pled" and the like.
P.S. My Pan spell checker even says pled is not a word! Nor is sawn.

: On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 06:22:35 -0700, Robatoy wrote:
:>> Sawn, surely! :>> :>> :> Surely. :> :> Quarter sawn lumber. Sawed off shotgun.
: Ah, but you're forgetting the "regularization" of verbs promoted by the : publishing industry :-). I still wince when I hear things like "pleaded" : instead of "pled" and the like.
Me too. Blech.
    -- Andy Barss
snipped-for-privacy@basil.u.arizona.edu says...

Used to be that you knew you had a nerd on your hands when he referred to a multipolicity of the commonplace pointing device as "mouses" but referred to a group of small rodents as "mice". Dunno if that's still true.

Oddly enough, we use the word "sawn" but primarily as an adjective: quarter-sawn, rough-sawn, plain-sawn, etc. The past tense of "saw" is usually "sawed" in American English.
On 6/16/11 12:49 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I sawed that coming :-)
--
Froz...