RE: O/T: Time Will Tell

I remember when the Federal Government changed that tax laws on the inventories. After that point the service went down because inventories were fully taxed each year and a company could not afford to maintain the complete inventories they had previous.y

---------------------------------- "Keith Nuttle" wrote:

---------------------------------------------- Which explains why many of the auto guys (FoMoCo was one) sold their in house inventory to a 3rd party and then bought back only what they used that day.
More bean counter games.
Lew
On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 17:48:14 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

You need my Ford dealer, they have been in business here almost a hundred years. They do it by good quality service.
Mark

I had a great Ford dealer, well Lincoln-Mercury, actually. The general manager was a very close friend. Unfortunately, he's still in Vermont and we're in Georgia, now. I never had any problems getting service on my Ranger. The Ford dealer there sure sucked, though.

I consider it good since I have not ever had a vehicle that made it that long with out needing some king of warranty work.. That included Honda and Acura.

OEM was never previously mentioned, until you must mentioned. OEM and after market are NOT necessarily the same. OEM parts are manufactured to a specific standard. Not all after market parts are.

Again no one mentioned that they did. However they do not use after market parts unless they meet specifications dictated to qualify as OEM. GM owned a brand, Delco. Delco made lots of replacement parts for GM vehicles. Also available Exclusively through GM were OEM parts referred to as "Target" parts. Many of these parts had the Target Parts logo on the packaging but were not necessarily manufactured by a GM owned company. These parts were OEM. Not all brand after market parts would qualify as OEM.
There is a lot of after market that does not qualify as OEM.
What I am saying is that Toyota uses better quality parts regardless of who makes them than the less expensive brands that do not measure up.

^^^^^^^^

What confused me was, "Toyota does not use after market parts to manufacture their vehicles."
How can they? ...by the definition of the terms. <stuff resulting from the above misunderstanding, snipped>

LOL

Many manufacturers use basically "generic" or "off the shelf" components which are THE SAME as what is sold as aftermarket parts - parts made by Dana, or TRW, or some other company - too their spec - and sold to the "aftermarket" off the same line.
In Japan you can likely buy "nippondenso" plug wires from the aftermarket as well. Here in North America you generally can not - and even some of the "dealer supplied" replacement parts are not, technically, OEM - as they are from a different supplier than the parts originally installed at the factory (and generally "locally sourced")

True, dealers do not always use OEM. Smaller dealers in smaller towns are more likely to use aftermarket in the interest of repairing the vehicle in a more timely manner Our dealership in Houston had a disclaimer indicating that this might happen in the interest of repairing the vehicle more quickly.. Our first choice was always OEM. It was extremely rare that we resorted to using after market.
Basically a dealer prefers to use OEM as in the past GM would stand behind the repair and part,,

Manufacturers offer several different grades and or styles of a given part While OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer, a part commonly referred to as OEM in the trades is one that is basically indistinguishable from any other same OEM part manufactured by a different manufacturer and is built to the specifications of the automobile manufacturer.. It is common for several manufacturers to make the same OEM part for a car builder. Car builders can't rely on a single source for the same part.
There are countless after market parts that are made by a top quality manufacturer but not all of the parts qualify as OEM And even though these parts may perform as well as the OEM parts that they manufacture there may be a physical difference that increases its coverage of vehicles that it may fit.
K&M makes top quality after market air cleaners but for the most part they are not OEM. To install these after market air cleaners the installer might have to make some kind of modification to any number of things, snorkel hoses, vacuum lines, heat riser tubes, etc.. If K&M makes an OEM air cleaner for a given vehicle the part will perform, fit, and look like the original.
"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------- "Leon" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------- I'm coming to the conclusion that if you plan to keep the vehicle, use genuine replacement parts.
OTOH, if you do not plan to keep the vehicle, use after market parts and pass potential short wear life on to the next owner.
After all, it is the seller not the buyer who probably knows the true value of an item.
Lew

You can't assume that all after market is up to par with OEM. I have seen a lot of crap out there.

IMHO still not worth the gamble not using genuine replacement parts. If you buy after market you may or you may not be buying OEM. if you buy an after market oil filter that does not measure up you could sustain substantial engine damage should the filter fail, and this could happen within a few hundred miles after installing. It would be a bitch to have the engine fail before you got rid of a vehicle that you do not plan to keep long.
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 17:50:22 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

While it's most likely that the 2nd set were of lesser quality, there's also the possibility that the aging of the entire electrical system might have had an effect.
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.