RE: O/T: Time Will Tell

Huh?

1) The parts an OEM uses to manufacture their cars are, by definition, NOT "after market".

2) Toyota does not manufacture all of their parts, themselves. They buy from the same "Tier-1" companies as everyone else.

That's not surprising. I'm sure there is even a Chrysler, out there somewhere, that's a couple of years old that hasn't had warranty work done on it.

Reply to
krw

------------------------------------------------------- "Le> There is a reason that Toyota is one of the most reliable brand > vehicles on

------------------------------------------------------------- I'm coming to the conclusion that if you plan to keep the vehicle, use genuine replacement parts.

OTOH, if you do not plan to keep the vehicle, use after market parts and pass potential short wear life on to the next owner.

After all, it is the seller not the buyer who probably knows the true value of an item.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

While it's most likely that the 2nd set were of lesser quality, there's also the possibility that the aging of the entire electrical system might have had an effect.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

We bought a 2006 PT Cruiser in 2007 that had 18,000 miles on it. We've still got it. The dealer replaced the leaky rear seal (a known problem) before he'd let us buy it. Other than normal maintenance, only thing replaced has been the front brakes at around 50,000. Mileage is now around 60,000 mostly city miles with a lot of stop and go driving. We're pretty happy with the car.

I see a lot of them on the road and very few in the for sale ads. The owners must like them. So of course Chrysler stopped making them :-).

BTW, with the seats folded down I can carry 8' lumber - one of the reasons I selected it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I could get 10' lumber in my Voyagers but they still sucked. Neither made it to 10 years or 100K miles. Neither did my Vision TSi or the Chrysler Intrepid.

Reply to
krw

OTOH, my wife's '14 Mustang was back in the shop 6 times (twice when we were on vacation), the first month we had it. They should have been able to fix it on the first try but they were obviously incompetent. They don't keep any parts on hand, so any service turns into at least two trips to the dealer.

The convertible is a lot of fun to drive, though. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I remember when the Federal Government changed that tax laws on the inventories. After that point the service went down because inventories were fully taxed each year and a company could not afford to maintain the complete inventories they had previous.y

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

You need my Ford dealer, they have been in business here almost a hundred years. They do it by good quality service.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

---------------------------------- "Keith Nuttle" wrote:

---------------------------------------------- Which explains why many of the auto guys (FoMoCo was one) sold their in house inventory to a 3rd party and then bought back only what they used that day.

More bean counter games.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I had a great Ford dealer, well Lincoln-Mercury, actually. The general manager was a very close friend. Unfortunately, he's still in Vermont and we're in Georgia, now. I never had any problems getting service on my Ranger. The Ford dealer there sure sucked, though.

Reply to
krw

You can't assume that all after market is up to par with OEM. I have seen a lot of crap out there.

Reply to
Leon

I consider it good since I have not ever had a vehicle that made it that long with out needing some king of warranty work.. That included Honda and Acura.

Reply to
Leon

Well Buick is probably better now than ever. IMHO most all of GM Vehicles, except maybe their trucks, were POS since the mid 70's. Back in the 7Os

80s ... They were all the same vehicles with different trim levels and badges.
Reply to
Leon

IMHO still not worth the gamble not using genuine replacement parts. If you buy after market you may or you may not be buying OEM. if you buy an after market oil filter that does not measure up you could sustain substantial engine damage should the filter fail, and this could happen within a few hundred miles after installing. It would be a bitch to have the engine fail before you got rid of a vehicle that you do not plan to keep long.

Reply to
Leon

OEM was never previously mentioned, until you must mentioned. OEM and after market are NOT necessarily the same. OEM parts are manufactured to a specific standard. Not all after market parts are.

Again no one mentioned that they did. However they do not use after market parts unless they meet specifications dictated to qualify as OEM. GM owned a brand, Delco. Delco made lots of replacement parts for GM vehicles. Also available Exclusively through GM were OEM parts referred to as "Target" parts. Many of these parts had the Target Parts logo on the packaging but were not necessarily manufactured by a GM owned company. These parts were OEM. Not all brand after market parts would qualify as OEM.

There is a lot of after market that does not qualify as OEM.

What I am saying is that Toyota uses better quality parts regardless of who makes them than the less expensive brands that do not measure up.

Reply to
Leon

Ok, failed is good.. Lots of non car people get the terminology mixed up. Typically an engine will throw " belts". I was a bit confused.

Reply to
Leon

The reason the American manufacturers lost out to the Japanese was the labor unions

Reply to
Leon

^^^^^^^^

What confused me was, "Toyota does not use after market parts to manufacture their vehicles."

How can they? ...by the definition of the terms.

Reply to
krw

LOL

Reply to
Leon

Manufacturers offer several different grades and or styles of a given part While OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer, a part commonly referred to as OEM in the trades is one that is basically indistinguishable from any other same OEM part manufactured by a different manufacturer and is built to the specifications of the automobile manufacturer.. It is common for several manufacturers to make the same OEM part for a car builder. Car builders can't rely on a single source for the same part.

There are countless after market parts that are made by a top quality manufacturer but not all of the parts qualify as OEM And even though these parts may perform as well as the OEM parts that they manufacture there may be a physical difference that increases its coverage of vehicles that it may fit.

K&M makes top quality after market air cleaners but for the most part they are not OEM. To install these after market air cleaners the installer might have to make some kind of modification to any number of things, snorkel hoses, vacuum lines, heat riser tubes, etc.. If K&M makes an OEM air cleaner for a given vehicle the part will perform, fit, and look like the original.

Reply to
Leon