Re: HUMOR: Getting even at Home Depot

Page 3 of 8
Chris Powers writes:

More likely minutes, but hey, every minute counts. I've never been one to bother searching for close spaces, but as my knees deteriorate further, I'm giving a little thought to shorter hikes to the mall. But, then, I tend to avoid malls.
Charlie Self
"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson

and how about that paraplegic who just climbed mount fuji on a hand cart? think he needs a handicapped spot?
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:07:28 -0700, "Charlie Spitzer"

Ah Well.
(tom - who is wondering if Mount Fuji is ADA compliant).
OKH#4
Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson

BITE YOUR TOUNGUE!!!! <G>
I attend many outdoor policy meetings as the rep of a mountain biking group and this has come up on state and national levels.
There have been serious discussions to _pave_ trails to remote, wilderness outposts, so that they could be accessed by folks in wheelchairs, and others who cannot hike or mountain bike to the location.
This is _not_ a joke. (I wish it was) It was told directly to me, face to face, by a big wig in the NPS Rivers and Trails program.
Imagine the Appalachian Trail, paved...
Barry
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:06:18 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
OK

Yes it is. A bad one.

No.
Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
Barry Burke responds:

Yeah, but the same story, or onevery similar to it, has been making the rounds for something over 15 years. The one I heard involved paving all the Federal park trails, or many of them. I first recall hearing it in some sort of discussion of the idiocy of government minions...it was the same meeting where I heard the early '70s proposal to require seat belts on motorcycles repeated.
Charlie Self
"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson
On 16 Sep 2003 00:34:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

They went with air bags instead.
Hope ya'll have a nice week...
Trent
On 16 Sep 2003 00:34:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I know, and it doesn't sound real.
However, this was told directly to me, representing the New England Mountain Bike Association (NEMBA) and the local bicycling community, by a high ranking meeting facilitator of the National Parks Service Rivers and Trails Program, at a meeting held at the Connecticut Forest and Parks Association (CFPA) headquarters, located in Middlefield, CT, in spring of 2002.
The subject came up during a discussion about threats to open spaces via development and urban sprawl. It comes down to the right lawsuit, which will probably eventually happen.
There's no email, there's no cousin, and there's no friend involved. <G>
Barry
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:45:47 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Many national parks have part of their trail systems paved and rendered at least mostly "accessible". There is considerable pressure on most park agencies (city, state, national) to make a substantial part of the hiking trails accessible. What kills me is that the same people who are pushing for paved trails in the park are pushing to remove roads and in some cases completely ban human access in wilderness areas. They must get into some pretty heavy arguments with themselves at times!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass writes:

Yeah, butit's understandable. When I was younger, I didn't have time, or the inclination, to travel those paths, unpaved or otherwise. Today, I don't have time but am willing to make time to do such things. But my knees are so bad, it's impossible unless paths are paved. Thing is, it seems incredibly selfish of me to want these set up so I can get there now (when I could just as readily have gone earlier) and ruin the sense of isolation for many others.
I figure it will all be screwed up eventually, but I don't have to participate, therefore it may last until after I have any chance of knowing about it.
Charlie Self
"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson
wrote in >

Might work for the Kansas Trail or the Utah Salt Flats Trail, but I think a lot of mountains would have to be leveled for the Appalachian Trail
I think I will start buying up property in NY to sell to the G'vmnt when they come through and by up the property they need to accomplish this.
--
Young Carpenter

Another weird thought...
What if all the ADA spots are forced to meet OSHA standards?! lol
Hope ya'll have a nice week...
Trent

SWMBO and I climbed MT Fuji in 2001... the hand cart guy climbed the desent trail because it is the smoother route. We admired his effort and accomplishment all the same. I think there were a few handicapped parking spots at Station 5 (climb start point) for the store/restaurant there.
Jack
pixelated:

Y'mean to make blue-lined HC spots out of normal parking spaces? <heh, heh, heh>

Verily. Back when I was a LoCaler, I often walked out of a shopping mall with bag in hand and saw the very same people driving around in circles (kinda like sharks circling, huh?), waiting for that 'perfect' parking spot that I had seen on the way in. This after I found the first open spot in the parking lot, walked a block to get into the store, toured the entire mall for exercise, did my shopping, paid for it, and walked out to my truck 20 minutes later.
I got my exercise, bypassed all the stress of circling (and inevitably being cut off) and did my shopping while these folks built up a head of steam that will someday rip their heart right out of them. I'm happier and healthier from my refreshing walk.
Them? Go figure!
- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened. --- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Mark & Juanita wrote:

And just as truthfully, I know (and don't just think) that handicapped people would be ecstatic to park in the farthest reaches of every parking lot if a miracle happened and they didn't have need for handicapped parking spaces anymore.
It's too bad that a universal mind meld can't get that idea across to "most people". The hundreds and hundreds of little daily aggravations that the disabled have to experience every day would drive the able-bodied absolutely insane if all of a sudden they had to face them on a permanent basis.

Uh huh.
My mind boggles whenever I am confronted with someone who is jealous of the handicapped because they get the best parking spaces.
Sheesh.
OTOH:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm 427f7c.0212031851.3c8a8f49%40posting.google.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain
--

FF

snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com says...

Please get your attributions correct. I did NOT write the above comment.

But that could happen no matter HOW many designated spots you have.
Hope ya'll have a nice week...
Trent
Pat. Pending Trent wrote:

Yes it could but it's likely to happen more to those who have already limited their allotment to those on hand and that's more or less what ADA is trying to prevent/help with.

Uh-huh, you to Skippy.
UA100