Re: HUMOR: Getting even at Home Depot

We're going through that right now. Our chucrch is remodeling, and the law requires so many handicapped spots per customer, even though there's maybe one or two disabled folks in the whole church. Also can no longer use the upstairs meeting and storage rooms because you can't get a wheelchair up there.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I believe that would be the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act).

Doug Miller

Have you ever considered the idiocy of a handicapped spot at a mall? If they can't walk in from the parking lot, how are they going to walk the mall?

The ADA is a good example of a good idea gone completely insane.

Reply to
Bruce

Did you ever notice the extended area along side the handicapped parking area. This area is designed to facilitate setting up and accessing a wheel chair.

-- Jack

Reply to
Nova

Sun, Sep 14, 2003, 2:25pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (Edwin=A0Pawlowski) claims: W-w-w-what d-d-d-do you mean scam? =A0 I just had contact with the daughter of the king

LOL Usually I just discard those e-mails, but every once in awhile I respond. I tell them I will need a $25,000 non-returnable advance, and I will see what I can do. Cash, mind you. And, they have actually gotten back to me several times, even willing to have me contact them on their dime. LOL I really should take them up on that some time, I could probably talk them out of the cash. Or at least give them one Hell of a phone bill, those international calls aren't cheap, and I would make sure to stay on the line for a long, long time. Don't 'cha just love helping other people? LMAO

JOAT I've heard it said, "All roads lead to Rome". But wouldn't that depend on which way you're going?

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 13 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

via cell phone to boot. Nobody would be able to trace that call ... If the story were true, the two police cars would have shown up, lights flashing, determined that the shoplifting call was false, identified that the fellow's truck was disabled, and had the guy who disabled the truck and filed the false report kissing pavement.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yep, went through that in our congregation in Texas re number of parking spaces required and with our new building here in Tucson re not being able to have a choir loft because everyone has to be able to access everything.

For our congregation in Texas, we had, at most, only two people at any one time that ever needed handicapped spaces, yet we were required to have (IIRC) six spaces because of the building occupancy capacity. This actually wound up using 8 actual parking spaces in a very expensive parking lot expansion because of the extra width required for the handicapped spaces. Now, given that we were church, if the time ever came where more than two or three spaces were required, we would have voluntarily expanded our capacity to accomodate those who needed the spaces -- yet this was not acceptable, we had to have those empty spaces regardless of whether they *ever* got used.

Conversely, our congregation in Tucson has a large contingent of older parishoners who require handicapped spaces. We could be perfectly compliant with the law regarding number of spaces and would not be serving our members because there are more handicapped people than required spaces, thus we have more spaces than the law requires.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I also have a hard time believing the woman is asleep with all the commotion going on. I think she's DEAD. And the sacks of concrete in the back seat are intended to make up a pair o' galoshes for her. While the guy was at the Borg picking up the quickcrete, he got distracted and a bit carried away with a Blue Light Special on ply and sticks.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Around here, the police dept has a volunteer parking enforcement brigade made up of joe/jane citizens. They have no legal authority other than to issue citations for such instances as folks parking in the handicapped spaces with no valid permit. They are not to confront or get "into it" with anyone, but the ticket is just as valid as if a PD officer had stuck it to the windshield.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

My daughter took some dance classes at a place that had about a dozen reserved handicap spaces in front of it - this is in front of a dance studio.

There was only one other business - right next door to the dance studio - indoor rock climbing.

Gotta love it.

Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Not all handicaps involve what you'd think.

Some could be respiratory, etc... The person could get into a Peterbilt if they wanted to.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Tomato or Tomatoe?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Tom Watson responds:

True. But many long years ago, I lived in an apartment with a bunch of guys, one of whom tended to date models and dancers (he was a patent attorney: the rest of us could afford to date only your run-of-the-mill NYC beauties, of which there is always a sufficiency). With the dancers, aches, groans and Ace bandages were the norm. I ever saw so many elastic bandages before that period of my life, nor so many limps.

All of which magically disappear during auditions and shows.

Charlie Self

"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson

Reply to
Charlie Self

A few years ago, I read about a guy that had a bunch of bumper stickers made up, that he would paste on cars that were parked in handicapped spaces without a permit.

The stickers said "I am an asshole. I park in handicap spaces."

Doug Miller

Take a deep breath and try to relax.

Enjoying the ironic aspects of life is like enjoying a magic trick.

If you explain it away you suck all the fun out of it.

Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

George, What is that new truck {with about '3 foot, nothing' ground clearance} that has a profile like a 'Push me / Pull you' ? Saw one In front of the local library on Saturday. In a 'handicap' slot, and c*ck-eyed, at that.

Actually, the trucks, suv's, & '4x4's outnumber the Caddies, etc.when it comes to handicap parking 'violations'. HOWEVER, it scares the hell out of me when I see some decrepit person {NOT just 'age'}, with the cataract glasses, hearing aid, 'head down & locked' attitude, hobble {or use their walker} to their HUGE car and take 10 minutes to clamber in to the drivers seat. There is NO WAY that they have the vision or coordination to operate a

2, 000 pound {plus}'missile'.

Ron Magen

Barry, Agreed.

However, if it was something like a respiratory problem, why would they be eligible for a 'handicap' license plate or placard?

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

Reply to
Ron Magen

Mike, with at least a 12 ga. to 'dissuade' all but the invited visitors !!!

Reply to
Ron Magen

Walking any distance can be a problem with severe COPD. Check it out in google.

And smokers who woodwork, check it out and give thought to where you're headed.

Charlie Self

"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson

Reply to
Charlie Self

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:10:24 GMT, Unisaw A100 pixelated:

Y'mean to make blue-lined HC spots out of normal parking spaces?

Verily. Back when I was a LoCaler, I often walked out of a shopping mall with bag in hand and saw the very same people driving around in circles (kinda like sharks circling, huh?), waiting for that 'perfect' parking spot that I had seen on the way in. This after I found the first open spot in the parking lot, walked a block to get into the store, toured the entire mall for exercise, did my shopping, paid for it, and walked out to my truck 20 minutes later.

I got my exercise, bypassed all the stress of circling (and inevitably being cut off) and did my shopping while these folks built up a head of steam that will someday rip their heart right out of them. I'm happier and healthier from my refreshing walk.

Them? Go figure!

- Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened. ---

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques