Re: HUMOR: Getting even at Home Depot

Perhaps not -- just the same, I doubt you've ever used one.

Pardon me for inferring that from your suggestion that the handicap spaces should be put at the far end of the parking lot.

You need to get your head out of your keister, Trent. If you were being serious, then you're every bit the dumbass you seem to be. And if you were joking, you are a remarkably insensitive asshole.

Haven't thought that one through either, have you? Hint: it's cheaper for the ATM manufacturers to make one type of control panel, with Braille, than to make two types, one with and one without.

Doug Miller

After having seen the way some people load their trucks at the Borg, I *do* believe it. I once watched a couple load what had to be over a ton of treated two-bys into the bed of an S-10 (looked like they were planning a deck). They loaded the short boards first, then the long ones, so the whole stack was tilted down toward the back of the truck. And of course the whole truck was tilting that way too, from the weight. They left with the woman driving, and the man sticking his arm out through the window in the back of the cab to hold the load down.

Doug Miller
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

They went with air bags instead.

Hope ya'll have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

Yer forgiven. But I had to forgive you the LAST time, too!!

You seem to do that a lot.

Do I get my pick? lol Awh...I really don't have the time. You pick one for me.

Hint: Why two?

Although, I've gotta admit. I've seen exposes' on TV on blind folks who still hold valid driving licenses.

Bye, Dougie.

Hope ya'll have a nice week...

Trent

Trent©

I've never seen an ATM that came with Braille keys or instructions. But when ADA came into being, every ATM in town suddenly had a little Braille pad installed to the side of the keypad, presumably a guide to the keys.

All the keys of course, produce non-Braille results on the computer screen, requiring the user to follow VISUAL instructions.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

There is a radio talk show host in Dallas whose wife is confined to a wheelchair. Several years ago, he mentioned the looks of sheer hatred when he would pull up to a handicapped space in his van with HC plates, jump out, and walk on two perfectly good legs into a mall or business establishment. Thing was, he was doing so to pick up his wife, whom he had dropped off earlier. Sometimes things aren't as they necessarily appear on first glance.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

My favorite was several years ago. Shortly upon moving to Tucson, I went to the post office to get mail out of the PO box. It was fairly early in the morning and I encountered a rather frantic lady on the way out wanting to know whether I had a cell phone or knew of a locksmith to help her get into her car, she had locked her keys in it, with the engine running (it was hot and she had left the car running to keep the AC running). I indicated I did not have a phone and pointed her to the firestation across the street where she might get some help. She looked a little dejected, but thanked me for the help.

It wasn't until I was driving away that I realized she was so frantic because she had parked in a handicapped space (the one closest to the door while she ran inside, "for just a second").

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Umm, sometimes sarcasm doesn't carry in the printed medium very well. I am very aware that cell phones are the easiest thing to trace. As a matter of fact, if you have a cell phone turned on (you don't even need to be talking), it is possible for people to locate your position to a pretty high degree of accuracy.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Please get your attributions correct. I did NOT write the above comment.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I thought the definition of an acronym is an abbreviation that can be pronounced as a word (e.g. FID: acronym for File ID) while an abbreviation is a shortened form of a word or phrase that is not necessarily pronounceable (e.g. TLA: Three letter acronym).

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

trail because it is the smoother route. We admired his effort and accomplishment all the same. I think there were a few handicapped parking spots at Station 5 (climb start point) for the store/restaurant there.

Jack

Reply to
<careyj002

Wrong. An acronym is, by definition:

A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging.

An acronym is a contraction of a _phrase_, into a single word. It does -not- have to be pronounceable. "RSVP" anybody?

An abbreviation is a shortened form of a single word. Sometimes as short as a single letter. e.g. 'v' for 'versus' in legal filings. In 'proper' English, an abbreviation is punctuated with a trailing period.

And, just to confuse the issue, there are things that used to be acronyms that are _not_ one any more. The best known one is "IBM" -- which *used* to be an acronym derived from 'International Business Machines Corporation". But, they officially changed their name to "The IBM Corporation", roughly

30 years ago, and the letters *don't* stand for anything today.
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:35:19 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT) scribbled

Here's someone who actually got money out of them:

"no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Not very likely. I find it difficult to imagine that someone could be in bad enough shape to qualify for a handicapped tag/sticker/plate and still be fit enough to pass the DOT physical.

Oh, wait, you were saying they might be physically _capable_ of getting into a Peterbilt. Nevermind.

Actually, they're probably easier to ascend than some of those honking big pickem-up trucks. More steps. Pro'ly 'cause the typical American truck driver is slightly to very overweight and has less upper body strength than a 12-year-old girl from holding onto that namby pamby power steering all day. 80,000 pounds, but you can steer it with your belly.

(I should know... I tried to do a pull-up the other day, and I couldn't lift myself even 1/4". It was humiliating. I can leg press 10 reps of 500 pounds though. Or at least I usta could, before I hyperextended my knee.)

Reply to
Silvan

Yes it could but it's likely to happen more to those who have already limited their allotment to those on hand and that's more or less what ADA is trying to prevent/help with.

Uh-huh, you to Skippy.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

A'yup. There's an up side to this also. You get to keep both halves of the house, the cars, the tools...

UA100, who occasionally introduces his wife as, "this is my first wife"...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Robert Bonomi responds:

Reply to
Charlie Self

I know, and it doesn't sound real.

However, this was told directly to me, representing the New England Mountain Bike Association (NEMBA) and the local bicycling community, by a high ranking meeting facilitator of the National Parks Service Rivers and Trails Program, at a meeting held at the Connecticut Forest and Parks Association (CFPA) headquarters, located in Middlefield, CT, in spring of 2002.

The subject came up during a discussion about threats to open spaces via development and urban sprawl. It comes down to the right lawsuit, which will probably eventually happen.

There's no email, there's no cousin, and there's no friend involved.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Especially when a common belief is being repeated.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

It reminds me of the Jeff Foxworthy {of, 'You might be a Redneck if . . .' fame}intro to a bit . . ."They wouldn't tell you not to do this, if someone hadn't already tried it !!"

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

Reply to
Ron Magen