Raspberry Pi Case

Page 4 of 4

One of the nice things about attending ARMTechCon every year, is you get to drool over the cool stuff.
http://www.armtechcon.com/
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 15:27:53 -0500, Swingman wrote:

The Pi is designed to be a low cost PC for children, students, and 3rd world. Hook up a monitor, a keyboard, and even a hard drive if you like. You've got a somewhat slow computer running most Linux applications.
The Arduino and other microcontrollers are designed to ,well, control things. There are digital and analog inputs and outputs varying from 20 or so on the Uno to 70 or so on the Mega2560. You use a PC (or a Pi) to write the programs and download them over a USB cable.
There's a Google group using Arduinos for all sorts of model RR applications. I'm using them to control servos and move turnout points slowly and realistically at a lot lower cost than the commercial product. And infinitely more cusomizeable.
Woodworking? A moisture meter would be pretty simple. A liquor cabinet that weighed each bottle and played "How Dry I Am" when appropriate? Twinkling LED lights behind the cloth in a speaker enclosure?
One experimenter built a hearing aid using an Arduino. A little large to fit in the ear, but is sure shows there's not a lot of expensive components involved.
carrying a cross.

Direct TV does that now, in home. Both audio and TV. It has been do-able over the Net with multi-casting and for the life of me I don't know why it was kept so limited. One signal that anyone had hook up to if they know where it's from. saves a lot of bandwidth instead of one stream to each individual user.

Like you, I have been considering getting one for a while, and the ver 3 is the hot ticket for wireless robots or whatever. Put an LED bar in the rear window and send text messages to the drivers behind you. ;)
On 4/1/2016 1:05 PM, OFWW wrote:

Not something I'd try in Texas... lol
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Why's that? Afraid an Aggie will pull up beside, roll down the window and ask you to read the message?
Puckdropper
On 4/1/2016 2:23 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

More likely some yankee transplant wanting to know if had the latest hockey scores.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

What good is it if it doesn't?
Puckdropper
Haven't you seen signs in the country and back woods - nation wide!
If it isn't the hunters shooting holes in signs to sight in, it is the drive by fun loving redneck that throws a bottle into it or shoots it next time.
Just don't ask for bullets or bottles.
Martin
On 4/1/2016 1:53 PM, Swingman wrote:

Time to quit thinking about it and separate yourself from about $50. You'll need a MicroSD card too.
The Pi 3 does come with integrated wireless, so there's $10 saved there.
Puckdropper
On 2016-04-01, Puckdropper <puckdropper> wrote:

That might be a problem. My older RPi B+ (?) uses a USB wiki dongle, which can be changed fer a better dongle if yer current dongle is not very good. With the new RPi, yer stuck with the wifi it comes with. Hopefully, it comes with a good one.
For example, I passed on the official RPi mini dongle and got the better b/g/n thumb drive-sized dongle. OTOH, the RPi 3 has a better CPU. ;)
nb

You should be able to disable the onboard wifi and use a USB dongle if you want to (which might be something you'd do if you put it in a metal case, since the onboard wifi antenna is soldered to the board and can't be moved).
However, one of the weaknesses of the Pi is that a lot of the low-level hardware stuff is not all that well documented, so it might take some work to figure out just how to do it.
John
On 01 Apr 2016 19:25:45 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Which class of card, I've got a bunch. I might just have a look tomorrow it there is no crowd, hate crowds.

shoot, so little time and so much to do. :(

4ax.com:

As fast as you can get, Class 10 I think is the current max.

AFAIK, Bluetooth isn't ready yet.
Puckdropper
On 03 Apr 2016 03:46:29 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

extensively, now). Before that, I would have agreed with you.

Oh, I meant the Bluetooth on the Pi 3. Ok, I did a little more looking and the current knowledge in one forum thread* suggests that Bluetooth support is there in Raspbian Jessie, but you may need to install a few things for a GUI interface.
You can safely ignore that statement above ("AFAIK, Bluetooth isn't ready yet.") and just do some reading if things don't work. (Linux--The OS that brought reading back to America's youth! lol)
Puckdropper *https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f (&t8145 Just citing my source.
On 04 Apr 2016 00:37:21 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Ah, I misunderstood you incorrectly. Nevermind! ;-)

;-)

Yeah, that's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison; the Raspberry Pi has more of the architecture of a smart phone, while the Arduino is the classic embedded controller.
I'm not a great fan of the "true" Arduino, because I'm not a huge fan of the Atmel AVR processor (altho it's a lot better than the PIC processor). There are Arduino compatible boards using various flavors of ARM processors (like the STM32) which I think are better.
John

A tiny bit... Unfortunately, Amazon Prime doesn't work with Linux. It boils down to DRM and lack of interest in making something that works.
MythTV OTOH, runs great on Linux. I wouldn't be surprised to find there's a "Myth Pi" project.
The Pi doesn't get high marks for audio out of the box. There's a $25 sound board add-on that will give you better audio, but if good sound is your aim you may want to look at other options.
Puckdropper