Raspberry Pi to measure solar kilowatts and turn on the immersion heater when there's surplus

I'd like a Raspberry Pi mini computer to measure kilowatts in my house coming from the FIT solar panels, and my consumption of electricity, and how much is coming or going to the grid, and then to turn on the immersion heater when there's surplus, and turn it off when i'm paying for electric.
I've seen a few DIY raspberry Pi's relays but I dont think they look very permanent, and as there is a huge amount of electricity being switched I'd like to see professional boxed relays with heat sinks as I'm scared of fire and electrocution.
I dont want to waste me time reinventing the wheel, there must be people who are already doing this but who and where?
This one is 5 amps: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
George
On 14/05/2019 15:55, George Miles wrote:

You can buy intelligent solar PV switchovers to do exactly this probably more cheaply than you could make one from component parts. It has almost become the standard MO of more recent solar PV installations. Make the electricity, turn it into hot water and pocket half the output as FIT.
I am with TNP on this one - it is a crazy market distortion. Almost as bad as the Northern Ireland renewable heat incentive aka "cash for ash".
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 14/05/2019 15:55, George Miles wrote:

You have FIT. When the sun shines, your electric meter is "driven backwards" with surplus. Doesn't matter if it's going for the heating or the freezer.
If you had panels independent of FIT, then yep - you could probably lash something up.
--
Adrian C

On 14/05/2019 16:33, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

But that isn't how it works. You get paid FIT for half of what you generate irrespective of what you do with it so most people now use it to heat their hot water with an immersion heater. It is crazy.

It is a flaw in how the FIT is determined. They don't measure export of power for most domestic users just total generated and pay half of that.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On Tuesday, 14 May 2019 17:02:51 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

s,

Total Drivel. You get paid for ALL you generate. Plus extra for half on the assumption you use half.
On Tuesday, 14 May 2019 16:33:56 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

NO It does NOT
On 14/05/2019 15:55, George Miles wrote:

I have a Raspberry Pi running emoncms. It records my electricity usage. The data comes form an Openenergy monitor circuit board which measures voltage, current, powerfactor and aslo counts the pulses of my electricity meter.
See https://community.openenergymonitor.org/c/emoncms
--
Michael Chare

On 14/05/2019 15:55, George Miles wrote:

Why would a mechanical relay require a heatsink?

"Quote" All the safety requirements are designed-in to prevent any faults resulting in a fire "/Quote"
Protected with a fuse and MOV
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Tuesday, 14 May 2019 15:55:41 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:

Google "Solar Switch" There are two sorts . One turns the immersion heater off when solar power gets too low.
The other modulates the power to immersion heater to match that available fro solar panels. EG https://solarimmersion.co.uk/