Iphone compass app

I have read that the Iphone uses a magnetic compass, which suggests it would be affected by very local magnetic fields, but putting a magnet close to my SE doesn't seem to affect it at all. What am I missing?
On 14/05/2019 13:38, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Wots an SE?
On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 1:57:42 PM UTC+1, TimW wrote:

Wild guess, it's an iPhone model.
Tim+
On 14/05/2019 14:20, Tim+ wrote:

I thought maybe he was snuggling up to a Structural Engineer.
TW
Or a sex emulator? Brian
--
----- --
Tim+ laid this down on his screen :

Iphone SE (Special Edition)..
Its an older but much loved Iphone model as it actually has a real earphone socket on it. Brian
--
----- --
On 14/05/2019 13:38, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It's magic [tm]
It's probably doing an AI job on you, and possibly cancelling out your deliberate field interference when compared with other sources (GPS, skyhook) of information - which probably has a few vectors valid within a time window.
Should be able to fool it though. Keep trying, say - turn off the wireless comms? or sweeping your magnet across slowly.
--
Adrian C

I don't know but I do find often that moving in the garden seems to effect its detection of north, so I'm guessing its actually quite slow at detecting things. Brian
--
----- --
It happens that Brian Gaff formulated :

That makes some sense. I guess it is using a mix of magnetic and gyro/ motion sensor, to work out a bearing, which is causing a lag in response to a magnet. The thing is, it keeps showing upto 90 deg out on a bearing on the compass. I do have a magnet close to where I charge it, one I was using to check its response to a magnet.
So long term it uses magnetic field, short term it uses its gyro.
On 14/05/2019 17:39, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Can't you get the phone to display an analogue clock face, then use the "boy scout" way relative to the Sun?
--
Max Demian

There's some overlap in the motion/position sensors and they partly compensate for one other. You can get apps to show the output of each sensor on a real time graph.
On 14/05/2019 13:38, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The inputs from the accelerometers.
If the phone isn't moving there's no point updating the compass.
On Tuesday, 14 May 2019 13:39:03 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It probably works on GPS principles. It won't know which way North is until you move it around.
In article <4b91affc-991a-4ad0-9e88-aafb62be4738

If I reverse into a parking space, my SatNav thinks I've turned round!
--

Terry