Iphone compass app

I have read that the Iphone uses a magnetic compass, which suggests it would be affected by very local magnetic fields, but putting a magnet close to my SE doesn't seem to affect it at all. What am I missing?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Wots an SE?

Reply to
TimW

Wild guess, it's an iPhone model.

Tim+

Reply to
Tim+

I thought maybe he was snuggling up to a Structural Engineer.

TW

Reply to
TimW

Tim+ laid this down on his screen :

Iphone SE (Special Edition)..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It's magic [tm]

It's probably doing an AI job on you, and possibly cancelling out your deliberate field interference when compared with other sources (GPS, skyhook) of information - which probably has a few vectors valid within a time window.

Should be able to fool it though. Keep trying, say - turn off the wireless comms? or sweeping your magnet across slowly.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I don't know but I do find often that moving in the garden seems to effect its detection of north, so I'm guessing its actually quite slow at detecting things. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its an older but much loved Iphone model as it actually has a real earphone socket on it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Or a sex emulator? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It happens that Brian Gaff formulated :

That makes some sense. I guess it is using a mix of magnetic and gyro/ motion sensor, to work out a bearing, which is causing a lag in response to a magnet. The thing is, it keeps showing upto 90 deg out on a bearing on the compass. I do have a magnet close to where I charge it, one I was using to check its response to a magnet.

So long term it uses magnetic field, short term it uses its gyro.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

There's some overlap in the motion/position sensors and they partly compensate for one other. You can get apps to show the output of each sensor on a real time graph.

Reply to
Pamela

The inputs from the accelerometers.

If the phone isn't moving there's no point updating the compass.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Can't you get the phone to display an analogue clock face, then use the "boy scout" way relative to the Sun?

Reply to
Max Demian

It probably works on GPS principles. It won't know which way North is until you move it around.

Reply to
harry

If I reverse into a parking space, my SatNav thinks I've turned round!

Reply to
Terry Casey