Checking USB power output

Following on from my brief foray into solar power, I noted that it wasn't easy to measure the power output of the USB adapter.

Amazon offers, for instance

or

.

I'm sure some people here have used such things. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Should I be looking for USB 3 capability for the few USB 3 devices I use (none of which are chargeable).

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I use one of these with a dummy load ....

Jim

As fare as I can see usb3 is just the speed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I saw Big Clive using one of those in a video someone posted here.

Is that a recommendation?

Reply to
Pamela

USB 3 can also provide more power.

As standard, USB 2 can provide up to 500mA; USB 3 up to 900mA and special versions for fast charging connected devices, up to 1500mA.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The latest USB 3.1 (IIRC) can supply a lot more than that and at a higher voltage than 5V.

Reply to
dennis