Raspberry - Allgold

Evening folks,

I have tried to find an answer everywhere on the net, yet it is not to be found !

I recently bought 6 raspberry canes (sold as Allgold, but I believe actually called Fallgold?) from Nottcutts in Maidstone. I just went in for a look, bought them on impulse. I now know you're supposed to plant them in November but it's only a week away so I hope it's not going to make such a difference.

I planted them in the ground but after today's rain I realised my soil is just too clayey, so I moved them to a big 60cm wide and about 2ft deep round tub that had a loamy soil in it with compost. I put four of the canes in that, an two of them in a long rectangular 15cm deep tub.

My question is: I've planted them in late October, but they will go dormant. So will I see anything happening at all (perhaps just root growth?) or will nothing happen until Spring? If they won't even grow until Spring, how can I be sure they're even alive?

Also, I bought some Miracle Gro that smells like Marmite but having now read the label, it says for fruit "start in Spring or when the fruit starts flowering" so I guess it's useless to get the canes settled. What should I get? bonemeal?

Someone please help, completely clueless. What an eejit, should have done some more research !

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Reply to
Zanahoria

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

No fertilizer now. Fallgold is a pretty sturdy variety. I would keep the tub or container plunged in the ground so it is not as cold as the air.

Reply to
beecrofter

***Wonderful about the compost bin and the chicken manure. But try to utilize the chickie-doo-doo only after it has had a chance to -- what? age? cure? *** Point being that very fresh chicken manure is really dynamite and could possibly burn plants. Auntie probably knows this

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson