Raspberry question

We bought some raspberries from Gurney's and got them last month, put them in big pots in the 'green' room(an add-on to the house with lots of windows), since it was still winter weather. And now the weather is spring finally, and yesterday I planted 2 raspberries outside as 'guinea pigs'(to give them a couple days and see if they could handle the transplant, so I'd know if it was safe to plant the others), and there was a green growth off one of the roots, and I'm wondering if it's a runner, or what my mother calls a 'sucker'(which I presume means a parasitical plant sucking energy from the host plant). The other raspberries have like 2 each of the green growths coming up out of the soil next to them. I have more experience with blackberries, but I would have thought it would take time for the raspberries to start 'reproducing'. They have what I think are going to be blossoms as well. They were shipped as bareroot., and maybe at best a foot in length. Do we have new raspberry plants/bushes already starting, or are they something I should get rid off? Because we do want the raspberries to proliferate(they're for along the fence and fresh berries make a nice addition to a lot of things).

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

It depends on the type of raspberry. Many varieties will set a small crop on last years canes, and then set a larger crop on this years canes at the end of the summer. Raspberries always send up new canes- what you call suckers. To keep them in check just mow them. If your soil is sandy or loose (as opposed to heavy clay) you will not have any trouble with getting the raspberries to spread- your problem may be to keep them contained!

Reply to
Rick

Ok thank you, that makes me feel better. If that's the case, the fence should be 'berry-d' in no time ;-)

Reply to
Lilah Morgan