I need blackberry help

Hi All,
I can't get my blackberry seeds to grow anywhere, except this one little sprouting pot.
https://ibb.co/b13zuT
Question: are these sprouts really blackberries, or has I been nurturing a bunch of WEEDS?
If they are black berries, how soon do I transplant them? They still look pretty fragile.
Many thanks, -T
On 7/27/2018 10:37 PM, T wrote:

  Those ain't blackberries ... ours here (wild , but should hold true) have squared stems and the leaves are more heart-shaped with sawtooth edges . You'd probably be better off buying a plant from a local nursery , they do spread readily . A fruit farm near here grows them , they hold them between a pair of wires , trim the new growth each year to just above the wires , and relentlessly clip suckers and dead canes . If those weren't a patented variety I'd have brought some shoots home from the pruning class we had there ... berries bigger than your thumb and no thorns .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

That picture is likely of purslane.
On 7/28/2018 7:31 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

yeah ... that's it ... kind of a cousin to moss rose.
--
Maggie

On 07/28/2018 05:31 AM, Boron Elgar wrote:

true)

ry

ld

no

BUGGER !!!!
At least Purslane is edible.
T wrote: ...
i only know them here as woodland edge plants that like to be in clearings made from fires or whatever.
i've not ever heard of anyone growing them in arid climate. not that it is impossible, but just seems like you may be forcing square peg into too small a round hole.
just my guess, perhaps others will have a better take on it...
songbird
On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 12:56:52 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:

About ten years ago, I found several red raspberry patches while kayaking along the Susquehanna River. I dug up a few plants and transplanted them next to my garden. They didn't do well in captivity.
I also tried planting some of the seeds, which sprouted but then died out.
Paul
Pavel314 wrote: ...

they may if transplanted into a pot first and then grown out before replanting.

note that black raspberry and red raspberry are quite different plants than blackberry...
we can find red and black raspberries growing in almost any sandy field that's been left to get overgrown a bit. the birds move seeds all over. we have wild red raspberries all around us. probably brought in from the neighbor's patch that they grew for many years.
blackberries i love but won't likely ever grow them. blueberries are much further up my list of someday plants.
songbird
On 07/29/2018 10:15 AM, songbird wrote:

You wouldn't happen to know anyone who grows bilberries for sale?
T wrote:

no, i've never looked for them, but a quick search did find suppliers so you should be able to find someone...
songbird
On 07/30/2018 07:38 PM, songbird wrote:

I couldn't find any. Just seed supplier. What search did you use?
T wrote:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bilberry+plant+for+sale
in looking at the places that had them i noticed that they all said what i suspected, these are wet/moisture loving plants that grow naturally near bogs and probably also need sandy acidic soil. i kinda doubt that you'll have very good luck growing them in an arid climate with alkaline soil.
songbird
On 07/31/2018 04:58 PM, songbird wrote:

Hi Songbird,
The search came up with only overseas sellers of plants.
I see the same thing you ar seeing:
Bilberries are found in acidic, nutrient-poor soils throughout the temperate and subarctic regions of the world. (Wikipedia)
Well, I have cold weather and I can fix the acidity of the soil. And I picked out the wettest part of my garden.
So far my Goji's are going great guns and three of my four Chokeberries (not cherries) are growing well. And, I finally found a source of those blackberries with the small seeds that sells plants.
And I am getting really suspicious of those zero germination seeds I have been getting: bilberries, blackberries, Bit Time radish (1 in 10 germinate), Bora King radish (1 in 10 germinate), and Imai Early Yellow Onion (zero germination).
Me thinks they are getting irradiated through customs.
-T
T wrote:

try these, in CA, so they won't go across any border:
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/vaccinium-myrtillus-bilberry-seeds
also note that some cold weather plants may need some stratification of seeds for them to sprout and grow.

you may also have to give the plants shade in the hot summer to prevent them from frying.

*shrug* i can't say what happens as i rarely order things from anyplace let alone overseas...
songbird
On 08/01/2018 11:31 AM, songbird wrote:

Will try them if I can not find plants. Thank you!
These seeds came from Outside Pride.

The directions sounded exactly like my winters, so I planted them in early winter.
Again in spring when they did not come up.

T wrote: ...

they're very tiny seeds you may want to plant them in a container in the fridge to control the humidity and temperature better.
songbird
On 08/01/2018 03:09 PM, songbird wrote:

Huh? Interesting. I wonder if I'd remember to water them. Hmmm, dirt in the refreg, I wonder if I could get that past me wife?
T wrote: ...

in a container in a bag to keep the moisture in, with a slight gap to allow some air to get in and out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratification_(seeds)
i'm not actually sure if bilberries need this or not but i'm thinking it may just help because the seeds are are so small.
check it out, study, learn, try things, etc. ;)
songbird
On 08/02/2018 04:20 AM, songbird wrote:

Always!
Thank you!
On 08/02/2018 04:20 AM, songbird wrote:

That was the description the seller gave and I have seen elsewhere. From the wikipedia article:
In the wild, seed dormancy is usually overcome by the seed spending time in the ground through a winter period and having its hard seed coat softened up by frost and weathering action. By doing so the seed is undergoing a natural form of "cold stratification" or pretreatment. This cold moist period triggers
My winter perfectly matched what they described on the package.
Me thinks they were just dead. I do realize I have a black thumb, but thanks to you guys help, it is pretty much a gray thumb now-a-days. I will order from the source you gave me next time.
-T