The plant Internet. What does it mean for us?

Hi All,
I saw a fascinating short documentary on how plants communicate:
The Earth's Internet: How Fungi Help Plants Communicate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tjt8WT5mRs

It is 5:20 long.
The stinkers talk to each other!
So, by now all my Zukes should know about the squash bugs and be taking preventative measures!
Anyway, what are the implications for us? Any changes we should make in the way we plant things?
I have noticed that plants tend to like being close to their own kind.
-T
T wrote:

study the differences between what perennials like and what other plants like for soil/fungi/bacteria it's pretty interesting.
the summary version (and of course there are exceptions) is that perennials tend to do better in fungal dominated soils (because the fungi break down any accumulated surface debris) and most annuals (including many of the garden vegetables) like soils more dominated by bacterial species. of course there are plenty of each types in most places that can support life, but it's a good quick rule of thumb.
almost all of the perennial flower gardens here are mulched with wood chips of whatever kind we can get for low cost. after some years of decomposition that's turned into prime humus. run it through the worm buckets to give it a good charge of worm/pee/poo and it's the best fertilizer you'll ever get for a garden.

um, ... plants propagate mostly in proximity through various means... ;) some plants give off chemicals to prevent their offspring from starting too close to the parent (alfalfa is a good example) - always exceptions to be found in nature. it's an interesting world we live in...
songbird