Raspberry Pi Case

Air tight speakers, non vented, have been being manufactured since the

50's There simply is no issue with the amount of sound that comes from them.
Reply to
Leon

It's about time!

LOL. Thanks for stepping in and commenting.

Reply to
Leon

Been intrigued with the concept behind Raspberry Pi since it first came out. They sure have hit on something I would have died for when I built my first Heathkit in '68. Can you imagine, we'd probably rule the world by now. LOL

Been thinking about getting one just for the hell of it, possibly to cobble up a streaming audio/video cord cutting device, maybe using KOBI?

You got any interest/info in that direction?

Thanks ...

Reply to
Swingman

Agreed. But I find the Arduinos much more fun. Not a "computer", a "controller" Bunches of digital and analog I/O, with accessory boards do do almost anything. Great fun on a model RR, and the robotics people buy them by the dozen - a clone of the Uno model can be had for less than $10.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Seen the technology and it is also intriguing. Just wonder how TV streaming from a digital signal to multiple units.

What I've heard about tasking with both, "If you can describe it with less than two ?and?s, get an Arduino. If you need more than two ?and?s, get a Raspberry Pi".

What do you think? Thanks.

Reply to
Swingman

On a tangent, spent a lot of time playing with speakers. Trying to determine best sound that could be had out of plastic enclosures. For our application unported was our only option. This was for a teleconferencing system, Bose though figured out that with tuned porting you can make shitty cheap speakers sound stupendous.

Reply to
Markem

I tend to favor one of these over both rPi and Arduino:

Scott Lurndal

Once blessed with a good enough approximation of "Golden Ears" to supplement a self employed life style sufficient to put two kids through college, I lately find myself turning on CC on all NetFlix binges. ;)

Probably the reason how absolutely amazed I am at how good some of these new techology, small, shitty little speakers sound.

Have a small, and older BlueTooth box (Logitech UE BOOM) speaker that I take out to the deck in the evening for music playback of my cell phone.

Keep in mind I'm often listening to a lot of material that I recorded, produced, and mixed, so I know exactly what I wanted to hear, and should still hear, those many years ago.

Stupendous is a good word ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Wow, New one on me. The plot, and options, thicken. Glad I asked.

Thanks!

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

A tiny bit... Unfortunately, Amazon Prime doesn't work with Linux. It boils down to DRM and lack of interest in making something that works.

MythTV OTOH, runs great on Linux. I wouldn't be surprised to find there's a "Myth Pi" project.

The Pi doesn't get high marks for audio out of the box. There's a $25 sound board add-on that will give you better audio, but if good sound is your aim you may want to look at other options.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I really miss 20 hz to 40 hz.

Reply to
Markem

The pup lets me know there's something there ...

Reply to
Swingman

The Pi is designed to be a low cost PC for children, students, and 3rd world. Hook up a monitor, a keyboard, and even a hard drive if you like. You've got a somewhat slow computer running most Linux applications.

The Arduino and other microcontrollers are designed to ,well, control things. There are digital and analog inputs and outputs varying from 20 or so on the Uno to 70 or so on the Mega2560. You use a PC (or a Pi) to write the programs and download them over a USB cable.

There's a Google group using Arduinos for all sorts of model RR applications. I'm using them to control servos and move turnout points slowly and realistically at a lot lower cost than the commercial product. And infinitely more cusomizeable.

Woodworking? A moisture meter would be pretty simple. A liquor cabinet that weighed each bottle and played "How Dry I Am" when appropriate? Twinkling LED lights behind the cloth in a speaker enclosure?

One experimenter built a hearing aid using an Arduino. A little large to fit in the ear, but is sure shows there's not a lot of expensive components involved.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Tuned Porting: "No highs. No lows. ...must be Bose."

Reply to
krw

They didn't impress me either. My exact words were, "I just don't get it". That said, I can understand why another's ear my prefer them...

Reply to
Bill

One of the nice things about attending ARMTechCon every year, is you get to drool over the cool stuff.

Scott Lurndal

I tend to prefer speakers without a cabinet, e.g. maggies.

You will need a subwoofer.

(I'd love to have these:

Scott Lurndal

Swingman wrote in news:HKmdnZl8MJNDFmDLnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Better magnets is the main reason. Speakers with rare-earth magnets can move a lot more air for the same amount of input signal than the speakers we had 20 or more years ago. Which also means they're a lot better at overcoming their own inertia to follow the input signal.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:ndjqrb$cmv$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Yeah, that's a bit of an apples and oranges comparison; the Raspberry Pi has more of the architecture of a smart phone, while the Arduino is the classic embedded controller.

I'm not a great fan of the "true" Arduino, because I'm not a huge fan of the Atmel AVR processor (altho it's a lot better than the PIC processor). There are Arduino compatible boards using various flavors of ARM processors (like the STM32) which I think are better.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Those are incredible speakers although you need the space for them and it appears they have come down considerable in price. The last time I saw them, almost 13 years ago, they were in the $5K per pair range.

Reply to
Leon