Raspberry Pi Case

Page 3 of 4
Mike Marlow wrote:

On second thought - maybe I really do not understand enough about speaker design to make the statement that I made above...
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

BUT!!! ....we cannot possibly extend such an equally forgiving POV to ol' notbob. He's obviously wrong and not deserving of our forgiveness. Die, notbob! Die!
(c'mon, Mike, ya' know you wanna say it)
We having fun, yet? ;)
nb
notbob wrote:

Dude - you are one sick puppy.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net

Mike - I'm too old to be a "Dude" and I've never been a "puppy". I will admit my being "sick" is still in question, though. OTOH, if you wanna dog me in this newsgroup, I'm up for it.
Despite having givin up this nonsense, years ago, the diminishing size of usenet has made me long for more interaction. Wanna be my dance partner? ;)
nb

I do know that Soundtraxx Mini-oval speakers have an enclosure that the speaker fits tightly into, magnet side out. There is no hole for a vent in that enclosure, nor is one needed. At the same time, though, realize the dimensions of the speaker & enclosure are only about 8mm by 20mm. Sometimes rules change as things get smaller.
Puckdropper
On 3/30/2016 5:40 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Yep, and I built my own bass cabinets, as well as a few for others back when I was young, and sexy, enough to lug an Ampex SVT head around. ;)
Most of the speaker cabinets I built contained 15" woofers, moved a lot of air, and were baffled/ported" very precisely according to speaker cabinet gurus I knew when doing studio work, as well as some being direct copies of well known speaker cabinets ... much like I would reproduce a chair for someone these days.
There is ton of physics that goes into designing a pleasing sounding speaker ... with a bit of magic thrown. My studio was a (paid) test bed for many of the more well known studio speakers down through the years.
I can say yeah or nay for the sound, but certainly wouldn't presume to expound definitely on the physics, particularly when it comes to the highly dynamic volume/pressures of air, inside and out, therefore the precise "porting" requirements, in order to tune certain types of speakers to a very specific frequency for desired bass reproduction.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/30/2016 5:24 PM, Leon wrote:

Yep ... the idea of sealed enclosure speakers, a very specific type of speaker design, is to allow the air behind the speaker to act pretty much like a spring, which helps control the movement of the speaker within its design limits.
It would have to be (relatively) "sealed" in order to do so.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/31/2016 10:07 AM, Swingman wrote:

It's about time!
LOL. Thanks for stepping in and commenting.

If there is no vent, of course the volume changes. The speaker cone moves, so the volume *has* to change. The air trapped inside the box is the spring for the cone. This is an "acoustic suspension" speaker (and they work quite well).

On 3/29/2016 8:48 PM, krw wrote:

The volume remains the same, where does it go when it is in a sealed container? Would volume and quantity be the same measurement? Now if the speaker has an opening the volume does change. Speaker movement in a sealed cabinet would simply increase and decrease pressure. We are measuring air, not displacement. Displacement would certainly change.

On 3/29/2016 1:05 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

That would be it! If you dare thump the driven speaker the slave should move a bit.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 15:43:40 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

That depends on the speaker. "Acoustic suspension" speakers aren't ported. They rely on the back pressure to return the speaker to its midpoint.

On 3/29/2016 8:43 PM, krw wrote:

AKA Air Suspension speakers.
On 28 Mar 2016 22:10:44 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote: >I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 and the official Raspberry Pi Touchscreen that

I'm curious, is your Pi for a special purpose or experimentation? How did you get one so fast?

It's mainly for playing with right now. I've got a Pi 2 that I'm hooking up my Digitrax PR3 programmer to, and may do so with the Pi 3.
I got lucky, I guess. I ordered the official touch screen from MCM and preordered a Pi 3 about 3 weeks before it was available. They delayed shipping the touch screen until the Pi 3 was available.
The touch screen is a nice bit of hardware, I've played with it for several hours already and the only problems I have are basically Fitt's Law related... Kinda hard to hit a 5-pixel by 10-pixel target with your huge 50x50 pixel fingers.
Puckdropper
On 3/28/2016 5:10 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Been intrigued with the concept behind Raspberry Pi since it first came out. They sure have hit on something I would have died for when I built my first Heathkit in '68. Can you imagine, we'd probably rule the world by now. LOL
Been thinking about getting one just for the hell of it, possibly to cobble up a streaming audio/video cord cutting device, maybe using KOBI?
You got any interest/info in that direction?
Thanks ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:25:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Agreed. But I find the Arduinos much more fun. Not a "computer", a "controller" Bunches of digital and analog I/O, with accessory boards do do almost anything. Great fun on a model RR, and the robotics people buy them by the dozen - a clone of the Uno model can be had for less than $10.
carrying a cross.
On 3/31/2016 1:38 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Seen the technology and it is also intriguing. Just wonder how TV streaming from a digital signal to multiple units.
What I've heard about tasking with both, "If you can describe it with less than two ‘and’s, get an Arduino. If you need more than two ‘and’s, get a Raspberry Pi".
What do you think? Thanks.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I tend to favor one of these over both rPi and Arduino:
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/main.php
On 3/31/2016 3:34 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Wow, New one on me. The plot, and options, thicken. Glad I asked.
Thanks!