Question for those who wear glasses . . .

then you need a dust mask the vents the air a different way. like the 3m half face mask.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Would you people read the bloody OP? He wanted to know how to wear glasses with a DUST MASK. A face shield does not provide respiratory protection nor does it in some magical way make his glasses fit over the dust mask.

Personally, I don't have a problem with my glasses and a dust mask--they don't sit quite the same as when they're riding on my nose but not far enough off to be a problem. But then my vision's not all that bad without them.

If however Wayne's situation is such that that's not viable, then his best solution would be a full-face filter mask such as the Trend Air-Shield that Woodcraft sells

or the equivalent from any of a number of other companies. This is not a cheap solution though, costing around $300.

Going to the Woodcraft site and selecting "shop safety and accessories" then "lung safety" off the menu gives some other possibilities, including one that looks viable and is around 50 bucks.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I wear trifocals and the dusk mask does shift the glasses slightly. It was enough to be annoying but since I wear prescription safety glasses in the shop the last time I got a new prescription I had the center section (arms length view) enlarged slightly now when the glasses get shifted that range which is were I am usually using anyway is still ok.

Rick

J. Clarke wrote:

Reply to
RKG

Actually my prescription isn't really very strong and the glasses are fairly small and very light weight. The lightest ones I could get. The lightest ones I could get without getting "grandpa" glasses (half lens reading glasses). But I do need them to see things that are close to me, like say up to a yard away. Get out past the length of my arm (maybe two arm lengths now) and I can see just hunkey dory. The problem with a face shield (which I could easily wear) is that it doesn't seem like it would prevent the fine airborn sawdust from coming in behind it so I would still need a dust mask to cover my nose and mouth. After all, my glasses get the sawdust on both sides of the lenses so I would think a face shield, while it would help some, is not the answer I am looking for. It is the dust mask that I am having a problem with. It dislocates my glasses just enough to be a pita and to introduce a lot of distortion and glare.

So after writing this I see some possible solutions. 1. Get glasses that weigh a ton. 2. Glue them onto my face so they can't move. 3. Get some arm extenders so I can run the sander from two arm lengths. 4. Don't sand.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

I have seen items like the links you provided. The airshield looks like the ideal solution, but it and the Aircap2 are both a little out of my price range for the time being. Now the Resp-o-Rator. . .hmmmm. Looks like that is something that could be easily made. Just need to work on the one-way valve. Oh wait! They also have the dust mask with a exhalation valve!! There we go. I'm on a roll.

Thanks,

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Use a DustFoe brand dust mask. Works just fine with glasses.

--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

Reply to
rcook5

Now that's a good idea. I've found contacts are convenient for this reason as well, but God help you if you get a piece of dust behind them. I had to stop wearing them for other reasons though.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in news:u1Hud.57597$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

I wear glasses and this dust mask -

. Works for me.

Brian

Reply to
Brian in Vancouver, BC

I'll try again. That link came out ott general. Here is a link to the respirator that works with my glasses.

(Link should be one line).

Brian

Reply to
Brian in Vancouver, BC

Not if you're shortsighted. They're not only expensive, you soon get to a point where usable lenses have to be _less_ than a certain size (you just can't get simple optics to work well enough off-axis to give a recognisable image), but safety glasses also have to be _at_least_ some size to give you coverage.

My own prescription is such that I have trouble getting sunglasses with reasonable coverage, let alone safety glasses. As it happens, my lenses _are_ impact resistant (they're not that expensive), but I'm under no illusions about how little coverage they offer.

I _sometimes_ wear safety glasses over my normal glasses. But for most tasks where I'm really expecting to get pelted (grinding etc.) I wear a face shield. A half-face mask (3M 4000 series ?) goes under this quite happily and I have ear defenders with a "back of the neck" band that work with it too.

For working with ammonia or formaldehyde, I use a full-face mask (mil-surplus Avon S10) without the shield.

Reply to
Andy Dingley