Question for those who wear glasses . . .

Page 3 of 3
Thanks again to all who responded. It looks like I am just going to keep trying different face masks until I can find one that doesn't get under my glasses and lift them up. I have tried about 5 different kinds ranging from the little cheapies to one that has the two canisters on the sides that I bought years ago for another purpose.
I have attached my shop vac to my ROS and it helps a lot. But there are problems using the shop vac too. First, it is so loud that I think I may have some permanent hearing damage from it. :-) It is quite a bit louder than the sander. Second, for the small sanding jobs that might only take 10 minutes or so, it would probably take three times that long to get the shop vac moved over (it's almost always connected to my table saw), find the adapters to attach to the ROS, get it all connected, do the sanding, take it all apart, and put everything back. I should do that anyway, though, because the for last "little" sanding project I neglected to move the car out of the garage (my shop) while I sanded on my bench. There was so much dust that my green Chrysler New Yorker now looks more like a very large piece of poplar. :-) The car really needs a bath now so I hope it rains today.
Wayne
NoOne N Particular wrote:

One solution to this is to get the el-cheapo shop vac dust collection setup from Lee Valley. It doesn't work terribly well, but it's cheap, and better than nothing. I have hoses running to the TS, DP and lathe, with a fourth hose as sort of a free floating all around suck things up hose. That lets me leave the shop vac parked behind the TS, right next to the trash can cyclone.
The whole rig doesn't come anywhere remotely close to capturing all my dust, but it helps. Of course one reason the whole setup is tolerable is because I have such a tiny shop that the switch on the vac is never more than three steps away from any corner.
Some day I'll get a real 660 V DC with quadruple squirrel cages and 12" ducts and dual 500 gal. cyclones. From what I hear from some of the hardcore DC guys on here, that's barely enough to get me started on a proper system for a 10x12 shop. :)
[...]

But beware that the system does not dump *you* into it's cyclones...
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

When that day comes, I'll just wear my anti-vacuum X-ray goggles that keep you from getting sucked into gigantic DCs and also reveal what ye olde lady types are wearing under their underwear. :)
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:26:29 -0500, Silvan

if you get that system, carry lots of extra screws, driver bits, tape measures and other ballast to avoid being sucked into the cyclone..
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:05:26 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

Leave the adapter or an extra vac hose on the box and the box somewhere handy.. you tend to use something more if it isn't a hassle to use it..
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/sanding_tbl_top.jpg
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:30:50 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

glasses and does not leak if you have a beard. The filters are also positioned behind your head so that the amount of dust the filter has to deal with is minimized.
Woodcraft carries them: <http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5FidC87&gift lse&mscssid82411C188F4E9293589A732C3DC3F9>
TWS
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:30:50 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

Use a DustFoe brand dust mask. Works just fine with glasses.
--RC

Projects expand to fill the clamps available -- plus 20 percent

I wear glasses and this dust mask - http://www.northcfr1.com/ . Works for me.
Brian

I'll try again. That link came out ott general. Here is a link to the respirator that works with my glasses.
http://www2.linkpath.com/indexIssue.php ? onlineIssue=true&prodTypetalogue&sIssueAtGlancelse&pageNumber=7 &flash=0
(Link should be one line).
Brian