Foot wear

Yes this is on topic,

I would like to ask those of you who have work areas that are on some form of concrete, what kind of shoes do you wear while there? Do you use any kind of mats to stand on? Last, but not least are you flat footed?

No I am not going to try to sell you something, just want to know what I need to change to help my legs and back while standing in the shop. Being 300lbs does not help, I know.

I have never really been able to say for sure that being flat footed has been a problem for me, but I may need to look for different shoes while standing for long periods of time in the work shop.

Thanks for your input!

Reply to
vdubbs

Man, I feel your pain. My floor is wood, I'm not flat-footed, and I only weigh 165, but I still have foot and back pain when I stand in the shop for extended periods. I've tried walking shoes and running shoes, but the best footwear I've found is lightweight hiking boots. My favorites are Sierra Lites by Hi Tech. They won't break the bank at only about $65 a pair. They have better arch support than either of the others, and my back seems to hurt less too. I'm not sure how being flat-footed would effect that equation.

DonkeyHody "You may not always get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get."

Reply to
DonkeyHody

Two flatfooted females in my family. Only thing they've found other than the orthotics is Birkenstocks. Both of them are able to wear and walk in them for extended periods. I do insist they break the "rules" of Birkenstocks and shave their legs, though.

Keep a couple of different heel heights available, wear orthotics or Birkenstocks - I have clogs - and if you're turning a long time, put a six by six chunk where you can raise one foot on it while turning. Does wonders for the back as it transfers the load.

Reply to
George

I am flat footed and weigh more than 350lb. orthonics help but the anti stress rubber mats help in my shop (concrete floors)

len

Reply to
leonard

I'll second the birkenstocks - no doubt the most comfortable shoes/sandals I've ever tried (once they're broken in). They do make shoes also, including hiking boots and safety shoes with steel toes - they cost a lot, but worth it in my opinion, and you might find a deal on ebay. I haven't tried the anti-fatigue mat yet, but now that they're on sale at Rockler, I'm going to very soon. Andy

Reply to
Andy

I have a couple different types of anti-fatigue mats in my shop and they do help extend the amount of time I can stay on my feet. I recommend them to anyone that do not have them and stand on concrete. As for shoes, I have tried many different kinds of shoes and cheap tennis shoes are by far the worst for me. I have a high dollar pair of safety shoes that are great as long as you are moving(walking) and not standing constantly. If I stand in them for extended periods, like doing lathe work and such, my ankles and lower back just kill me and it even lingers into the next day as well. I plan on going to a foot doc in the near future just to be sure I don't have a foot problem coming on. This last year it all has gotten worse. I know age has nothing to do with it either.........LOL!! Just turn 40 last month, and compared to some on here that is young by a long shot.

I will have to look into the Birkenstocks, my wife like to wear them. I just would never thought about them as a shop shoe. Go figure!

Reply to
TerryB

For about 18 years and standing on concrete I wear Rockport Hiking shoes.

Reply to
Leon

| For about 18 years and standing on concrete I wear Rockport Hiking | shoes.

I've worn the same for the last three years. I weigh 150 and have flat feet. I have 1/4" thick rubber pads in front of tools where I stand for more than a half hour at a time - and the pads do make a considerable difference.

Morris Dovey

I think that the problem needs to be tackled in a different way, though shoes are not to be discounted, a lot of that I believe is marketing. I think that flexibility and strength are the key factors in lower back and leg pain. For three years I have done my best to attend a weekly Pilates and yoga class. The Pilates concentrates on core strength and the yoga on flexibility. All of my back issues have completely gone away once I started on this path. I am 45 years old, while this is not old, it is old enough to start having these problems.

I am pretty sure that if the hamstrings are flexible and the stomach/core is strong then shoes will not be quite as critical. I hope I did not offend anyone, I am usually a lurker, but I truly feel strongly about this. As we get older and the years of sitting start effecting us more all of these things start to take their toll. I am not the great all knowing one, but have just found that this works for me and hopefully for someone else also.

thanks.

Reply to
mike

Yep,

In '94 I apparently tried to destroy my spinal cord. I was able to recover without surgery. I lost 2 years, but I was able to do some light work in limited amounts. I also weigh 165,, give or take 5lb. Physical training is important to all of us. I slack off occasionally and I can tell a difference in everything I do from the way I walk to the way I feel when I sneeze. A back injury stays with you for the rest of your life. I'm 40, doing much better than I was at 30.

I wear Wolverines, Wellingtons. I add arch support when I'm breaking them in, and replace the supports annually. I wear one pair to work every day. I've had them for 3 years now. Another pair waits in the closet and goes with me on Sundays until they're broke-in.

Mats in the shop? Oh - Yeah, Imagine what a Kentucky boy uses for shop mats. Coal mine conveyor belts. They're 4' wide and cut with a utility knife. Stiff rubber with a fabric inner layer that makes them last forever under foot traffic. Usually cheap too! Sometimes I can get them for free in sections 3' to 12' long. Over 6' long and it's all I can do to handle them by myself. That stuff is HEAVY. They make fantastic p-up truck bed liners too.

Tom in KY, You've only got one back, when it's gone, well, you'd be surprised what all else goes away with it!

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

Well, I am no light weight (265), and my feet and back tend to get irritated when I stand at the lathe for long periods of time. I do have some mats on the floor, and they help. I can't wear Birkenstocks because of my foot shape, but New Balance makes shoes in the wide sizes. I do a couple of things to help. I think posture is a big thing in eliminating back pain. It is an effort because I don't think as much about sucking in the old gut to impress the ladies as I used to. Strengthening the stomach and back muscles will keep the back in line. Having the lathe at the proper height is another big factor. If you have to bend over at the waist to turn anything, that will put stress on your back (most of us walk erect). Also, I wear pressure stockings. Not the prescription type (yet) but the Dr. Scholls (I think)style. They make a big difference on how your feet feel at the end of the day. Some times I will take a break and hit the exercycle for a few minutes to get tho blood flowing again. Tap your feet in time to the music. Shift your weight back and forth. Oh yes, this year I will loose some of those ghosts from Christmas Pasts. robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

My shop has a concrete floor, and it used to cause me some back and leg problems. I started wearing some slip-on's from Lands End a few years ago, and they have been great. Thier catalog no. is #09270-8AGX , and I just ordered another pair for 29.50. The slip-on feature is especially appreciated by my wife, since it makes it much more likely I'll take them off when I come into the house. Land's End offers some orthopedic inserts for various foot shapes, but I've not tried them.

I've also been using a couple of the shock absorbing mats from Woodcraft at my lathe and workbench, and they help as well.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Kolakowski

Spina Bifeda, scoliosis, arthritis. That's what I deal with. I don't generally stand at a work station for more than an hour without bending and flexing (also called excersizing occasionaly) and I wear deerskin slippers. Then I go sit down for a while and work up some more steam. Most importantly, my router table is 42" tall and the table saw is 37". I don't bend forward too much while I work.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Darn tootin' it is on topic.

If you don't look after your feet, you are not looking after your knees and back either. Dropping 70+ pounds helps too. Doc Martin on the feet, with orthotics. Birkies around the house. Anti fatigue matting in the shop.

Reply to
Robatoy

**ALSO ON TOPIC** !!

Wear suspenders with that Normie looking toolbelt!! They distribute the weight better.

And,, if y'ain't got no a$$, they help keep your tools up from your ankles!! I've got just enough to hold my toolbelt all day, but only if my suspenders give out.

Tom in KY, Yep, on topic, yep.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

A little google search and

Birkenstocks..........

Reply to
TerryB

Look up "ripple sole" shoes. Used by mailmen. I think Mason Shoes still makes them, others may as well. I had a pair years ago when my work required 8 hours of standing and I think they're great.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard
6', 205 ... and my biggest problems are with a service connected knee injury, and the fact that I walk at least two miles _every_ day, rain or shine, knee be damned, before sun up.

I wear Rockport World Tour Classic exclusively, both walking and in the shop.

Own three pair, two of which I have added inserts on top of the regular inserts, and one pair, the brown suede version of the WTC, that are more comfortable without double inserts ... go figure.

IOW, while all Rockport's are not created equal, at least for me, (the last batch, and most comfortable, are not made in China, but Vietnam, from whence the knee injury coincidentally originates ... there is some justice in this world) I still find them the most comfortable, all day shop shoe.

Reply to
Swingman

Hey Swingman,

I probably went through 4 or 5 pair of Rockport Pro Walkers beginning in about 1989. They look a lot like the Rockport World Tour Classic that you mentioned. In 1996 I switched to the hiking shoe, low top. More expensive but I could wear the soles out on the Pro Walkers in about 9 months walking on concrete all day and had them factory reconditioned. I am on my 3rd pair of the Rockport hiking shoes in about 9 years. I am getting about 3 times the mileage plus they are water proof. Great when working out doors. Get them muddy and simply hose them off while you are wearing them. I DO NOT do anything to take care of them except replace the shoe laces about 3 times before I retire them. I "highly" recommend them over the walking shoes. More comfortable also IMHO. They come in a hi-top also.

Look here.

Reply to
Leon

Butt Ugly! And picture Chevy Chase in 'European Vacation'.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser