Foot wear

From listening to previous comments........it seems that more than a few of us need to make a New Year's Resolution..........(myself included, 275# here)........that is to lose a little weight and get some exercise. As much fun as turning is........it's not very strenuous and just doesn't burn many calories.

Barry

Reply to
Barry N. Turner

Has anyone tried "Crocs"? Injection molded sandals?

Barry

Barry N. Turner

Rockports don't do it for me........maybe too much of a load for 'em. Timberlands either. Eccos are much better, but more expensive. Latest offerings not made in Denmark anymore.

Barry

> Thanks for the link. I went to the Rockport store in the Galleria back in

Reply to
Barry N. Turner

What a thread! We must be a bunch of shoe freaks!

Barry

Reply to
Barry N. Turner

What about Smiths?

Reply to
Charles Krug

But they are still as comfortable. At least the Danes are doing some QC befor putting the nam on them. DAGS for cheaper ECCOs. You have to pick through stuff and buy whatever is available in your size, but the prices can be as low as 50% of retail and sometimes even less. Here's a start:

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Not deliberately, but I have a pair for working in the garden that I sometimes neglect to leave at the door when I slip into something less dirty. They don't have the firm arch support, which would probably make a difference after an hour or so.

Reply to
George

They're all the rage in hospitals among folks who rarely sit.

I always wondered if they were THAT comfortable and good, or if they were easily sterilized.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Poor man's Birkis. I imagine it's more a monetary decision than comfort, as I own both. Crocs have heel straps, too.

If you have ever worked much in the Emergency Department, you'd know that washability is a highly desirable characteristic. Birkis have the insoles, but they seldom get stained.

All my boots are stained, as well as my leather gloves, because I work the ambulance. Dark, cold, blood and fluids. All you can do is spray the areas of your clothing when you get to the lights and hope for the best.

Reply to
George

This thread is amazing. Folks you never hear from and long as a kid's Christmas list. Still, it's great info and kinda fun to hear some of the personal info on folks that you only know by posts on turning. At 63 and not a computer dude I find this internet thing cool as it so quickly covers so much of the world.

TomNie

Reply to
Tom Nie

Yes, I like them. read my post above. Comfortable for standing long times but do not offer enough protection if you drop a tool or board.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

My Father's arches collapsed after working on a saw mill for many years causing him to become flat footed. This subsequently caused some disks in his spine to slip. The remedy was to wear boots with a substantial heel and to have inserts which he could place in his boots supporting his arches. I always wear Blundstone boots, they have a good instep and and a heel. A bit pricey at about $100.00 a pair but you get bloody good mileage out of them. A good thick rubber mat or duck boarding at work stations also helps heaps. regards John

Reply to
John B

Very interesting all your comments. I understand that some of you have foot problems or foot discomfort. A year ago I found these insoles called shockblockers. They are very comfortable. I spend most of my work time walking on concrete floors and these insoles have helped me a lot. I thought you may be interested to learn about these shock absorbing insoles. For more information, here's the link the site:

Cheers, Josh

Reply to
trovesurfer

[...]

I am on my feet on a concrete floor all day. Some standing, some walking, some stooping. I wear Timberline / Caterpillar low-top shoes. They have a steel toe and shank but are otherwise designed like regular sports shoe styles ... rubber soles and a bit of leather here and there.

They tend to last me about 2 years or so for a cost of about $5 per toe / year.

;-)

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

I will let you know about the crocs soon. Just bought a pair yesterday and have not got to the shop to test run them.

Reply to
vdubbs

I see the hook in that worm..........I am not bitting.

Reply to
vdubbs