Question for those who wear glasses . . .

Page 1 of 3
Up until recently I could do my woodworking thing without the need for glasses. And it still isn't too much of a problem until I get to sanding. My problem now is that I can't wear a dust mask and glasses at the same time so when I am sanding I have to chose between seeing, or breathing. If I wear my glasses the dust masks don't fit and I still get dust in my nose. If I wear the dust mask, it pushes up my glasses and then I can't see. I can't afford one of those helmet systems and probably wouldn't use it if I had one. I don't think I could get used to it.
So the question is, what do you wearers of glasses do?
Wayne
[...]

[...]
Plane and scrape. That way you get a very nice surface without dust and you can get away without dust mask. BTW: Corrective glasses are not a replacement for safety glasses, because they let in stuff frm the side, and you don't want to damage he expensive lenses anyway, so get a set of safety glasses that can be worn over the protective ones.

You can also get prescription safety glasses.
--
Hank Gillette

At -8dpt they come expensive...

I'm sure that's true. My prescription is not nearly that strong, and the OP didn't specify his prescription, so I just threw out the possibility.
Someone with that strong a prescription might want to investigate contacts or laser surgery too.
--
Hank Gillette

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 21:09:58 -0500, Hank Gillette
Not if you're shortsighted. They're not only expensive, you soon get to a point where usable lenses have to be _less_ than a certain size (you just can't get simple optics to work well enough off-axis to give a recognisable image), but safety glasses also have to be _at_least_ some size to give you coverage.
My own prescription is such that I have trouble getting sunglasses with reasonable coverage, let alone safety glasses. As it happens, my lenses _are_ impact resistant (they're not that expensive), but I'm under no illusions about how little coverage they offer.
I _sometimes_ wear safety glasses over my normal glasses. But for most tasks where I'm really expecting to get pelted (grinding etc.) I wear a face shield. A half-face mask (3M 4000 series ?) goes under this quite happily and I have ear defenders with a "back of the neck" band that work with it too.
For working with ammonia or formaldehyde, I use a full-face mask (mil-surplus Avon S10) without the shield.
--
Smert' spamionam

Full face shield. It flips up when not it use and is replaceable if it gets too scratched up.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?SID=&ccurrency=1&page1226&category=1,42207

gets
I don't think you read the question. He's wearing glasses for vision correction, not safety. How does a face shield help vision?
Bob
Bob wrote:

Bob wrote:

You can wear your own glasses and a mask under a face shield. Works like a charm.
Josie
However, the same Italian dressing breath that you love inside the mask, and the same moisture which (briefly) fogs your glasses over a mask, is still a problem.

Sat, Dec 11, 2004, 2:32pm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (firstjois) says: You can wear your own glasses and a mask under a face shield. Works like a charm.
Yep. I just came back to say I wear a face mask and muss too, and saw Josie's post.
Here's the order they go on me: Dust mask (replaceable filters type). Glasses. Face shield. Ear muffs.
No prob.
JOAT We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails. - unknown

Doesn't solve the original problem stated - face mask does not fit properly when he wears glasses.
Bob

properly
They must be gargantuan glasses then. I just tried my face shield while wearing regular eye protectors that are also capable of covering my glasses. The face shield doesn't come close to touching anything.
Upscale wrote:

See:
http://www.inthewoodshop.org/methods/renewfs/1.jpg
Josie

Ok, you're showing me a face shield. What about it?
Upscale wrote:

Would you people read the bloody OP? He wanted to know how to wear glasses with a DUST MASK. A face shield does not provide respiratory protection nor does it in some magical way make his glasses fit over the dust mask.
Personally, I don't have a problem with my glasses and a dust mask--they don't sit quite the same as when they're riding on my nose but not far enough off to be a problem. But then my vision's not all that bad without them.
If however Wayne's situation is such that that's not viable, then his best solution would be a full-face filter mask such as the Trend Air-Shield that Woodcraft sells <http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5FidI23&gift lse&0pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10000%26Tree%3D%2CDepartments&1pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1049%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CShop%20Safety%20%26%20Accessories&2pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1114%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CSafety%20%2D%20Lungs&Giftlse&mscssid020C0A3D85628401E8F4992249E19E> or the equivalent from any of a number of other companies. This is not a cheap solution though, costing around $300.
Going to the Woodcraft site and selecting "shop safety and accessories" then "lung safety" off the menu gives some other possibilities, including one that looks viable and is around 50 bucks.
--
--John
I wear trifocals and the dusk mask does shift the glasses slightly. It was enough to be annoying but since I wear prescription safety glasses in the shop the last time I got a new prescription I had the center section (arms length view) enlarged slightly now when the glasses get shifted that range which is were I am usually using anyway is still ok.
J. Clarke wrote:

RKG wrote:

Now that's a good idea. I've found contacts are convenient for this reason as well, but God help you if you get a piece of dust behind them. I had to stop wearing them for other reasons though.

--
--John

<http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5FidI23&gift lse&0pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10000%26Tree%3D%2CDepartments&1pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1049%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CShop%20Safety%20%26%20Accessories&2pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1114%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CSafety%20%2D%20Lungs&Giftlse&mscssid020C0A3D85628401E8F4992249E19E>
I have seen items like the links you provided. The airshield looks like the ideal solution, but it and the Aircap2 are both a little out of my price range for the time being. Now the Resp-o-Rator. . .hmmmm. Looks like that is something that could be easily made. Just need to work on the one-way valve. Oh wait! They also have the dust mask with a exhalation valve!! There we go. I'm on a roll.
Thanks,
Wayne