PSA: Harbor Freight Digital Caliper $16

On 16 Sep 2004 15:07:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com (Ed Bennett) wrote:
unless you're measuring travel in 2 directions simultaneously on the cross slide on your metal lathe.
which of course we wouldn't do here. it's not woodworking.....
Well, this is actually a bit different. Here there are two indicators measuring two different things (x movement and y movement) providing two different values (x and y) to locate a single object in two dimensions. The x and y readings are supposed to be completely independent of eachother (unless your lathe is a bit difficient).
There are times where a "comparator" of sorts will be constructed to provide differential measurements between an unknown and a fixed standard. Some of my electronic gaging equipment has inputs for this. Very complicated. Very expensive. Often a setup like this is used in the calibration of gage blocks. I tried to do it once and failed pretty miserably. I just don't have the facilities or capabilities to eliminate all the variables. You think it's easy until you try it!
Thanks,
Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com http://www.ts-aligner.com
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in message

On 17 Sep 2004 14:22:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com (Ed Bennett) wrote:

my point exactly.

I've had one for a couple of years, I'm on my second battery. Great fot the price.