How to remove mold from mahogany?

It seems some mold has interrupted my finishing of a new mahogany exterior door.

First off, I prepped the door in the garage before installing. I wiped on

2-3 coats of wipe-on urethane. Specifically, Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane thinned by about 50% (2-to-1 finish to mineral spirits). The coats went on pretty thin - I had not noticed any gloss, yet. It still looked very flat. I installed the door (due to scheduling issues) and figured I would come back and finish the finish later. The door instructions said not to install the door without sealing...I figured 3 coats of wipe-on qualifies as sealed.

Well, after about three weeks, two huricanes (N Carolina) and some very humid weather, I noticed some surface mold forming. In preparation for finishing the finish this weekend, I wiped down the door with bleach today thinking it would all wipe off and kill any invisible remains. However, I do not seem to be able to wipe it all off.

I'm concerned that maybe it has stained the wood or grown down in the pores (which I would have thought were sealed by three coats).

What next? I assume I should not apply any more finish - as that would simply trap and seal what is already there?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

TIA, C

Reply to
Chris Merrill