AArDvarK

ground a caliper.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

heh-heh-heh-heh.........

Reply to
AArDvarK

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:49:30 -0500, Phil calmly ranted:

What's that, Stubby? (What fool works in the shop without their glasses on?)

------------------------------------------------------------- give me The Luxuries Of Life *

i can live without the necessities * 2 Tee collections online

Larry Jaques

snip of multi-gauge discussion

Are there gauges that can be retrofitted for multiple dial indicators, or is this something that you'd need to create from scratch? Given the low cost of highly accurate (or is it precise?) gauges, I'm surprised their aren't a whole bunch of commercially available, multiple gauge alignment aides.

My gut tells me that I should first learn how to tune machinery using the most rudimentary jigs and devices, so the physics of the process become very clear. Then I can better evaluate whether a certain jig is timesaving and/or more accurate.

JP

***************************** Give yourself the best chance to do excellent work.
Reply to
Jay Pique

You don't need to ground a caliper, that's just a myth. Nobody has ever presented a single example of a shop explosion caused by an ungrounded caliper.

:-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

My whole point is that people who design the gauges are stuck with an outdated way of thinking that says "dial indicators are expensive so my design will only use one".

Gauges that are designed from the beg>

Reply to
AL

I gotta wade in here. You DO have to ground a caliper - and here's a case in point.

My brother had to wear a caliper as a boy, it's a device that is two metal rods hinged, at the knee, that supports the leg. He had to wear it for extended periods following operations. The metal bits were kept off the leg by leather but, at the top, they were exposed. The top terminated near the upper thigh, and, on a good day with the right conditions, you could scuff yourself over the carpet and touch the bottom of the caliper, resulting in a discharge near the top (where his boyz were).

It were guar-ant-eed to get his attention.

So, in answer to your statement, no shop explosions, but it did make my brudder explode regularly.

Reply to
Greg Millen

Aligning a mill vise with two indicators would take longer because the jig used to do the alignment was designed for one indicator (ie. clamp the indicator in the chuck and sweep the fixed jaw). Imagine a jig that you clamp in the chuck/collet/holder that holds 3 indicators (all factory calibrated to read the same). The center indicator is centered with the shaft in the chuck/collet/holder. All you have to do square the jig against the table (ie. all 3 indicators read the same), clamp the spindle, then adjust the vise so that the two outside indicators read the same as the middle one. No more sweeping.

Reply to
AL

Reply to
Jim Behning

he's using magic- "factory calibrated to read the same".

I don't think he's used indicators much.

Reply to
bridger

As I said, you square it against the table by getting all 3 indicators to read the same. To elaborate, you let all three stems touch the table, then turn the chuck so that the three read the same. When this happens, the jig is square to the table. Then clamp the spindle. It is a few seconds of work.

Reply to
AL

What you call magic, I call child's play.

The three indicators need to read the same to work. Adjusting them at the factory is child's play. Merely a setscrew that allows the indicator to slide back and forth.

If you want to do your own calibration, you merely need to use a machinists square. One leg against the indicator stems, another leg against the edge of the holder (that has been machined square).

I use indicators all the time. I don't handicap myself by doing things the traditional way.

extensively in

Reply to
AL

I'd take exception to this statement. With any experience or training in Metrology, a person can easily see right through this reasoning pretty quickly. Or, if you just try an idea like this you'll immediately recognize it's folly. Multiple indicators don't make anything better or quicker or easier.

Ed Bennett snipped-for-privacy@ts-aligner.com

Reply to
Ed Bennett

Well "AL":

Perhaps you should elaborate even more about your ideas! I'm thinking that you should try them and then make an honest report back to the group on how they worked. Maybe after you have actually tried these things they won't seem like such great ideas.

I guess you got my dander up because you specifically mention my product (TS-Aligner Jr.) and how much it could be "improved" with this idea of yours (multiple indicators). I think that it's enough of a lesson if you are forced to try your own idea and report the results back to the group - honestly. Then maybe you might think twice about trying to fool members of this group into thinking you know anything about machinery alignment or Metrology.