Picture Framing

Hi,
I am a keen photographer and my wife and I want to start making our own frames. I would like to produce some 'used' timber frames and make my own mouldings. I have searched the net but have not found any real helpful woodworking sites that focus on this subject. I plan to purchase a simple router and DIY bench, a power or hand mitre saw etc. Could use some help please from those who have walked before as to the best direction to go with these items. Also traps for new players.
Cheers,
Bob Dunlop
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:21:16 GMT, "PM6564"

I'm thinking of starting this myself as well. What i want is one of those corner clamps that make sure your frame is correct on the corners. Just got a new set of router bits (for another job) but I see the framing starting some time this winter. My step son has given me serveral bundles of oak flooring strips about 3ft by 1 inch by 3 inch wide. I think these will make very nice frames. I actually think that the glass will be the biggest problem. Not getting it, but cutting it to the right size. I've tried working with glass over the years and have not been all that successful. Ken

Get a flat working surface, a straight edge with rubber backing so it won't slide off the glass. Then dip your glass cutter in some kerosene to lubricate it and pressing down firmly run it ONE time along the straight edge.
Slide the glass over until the scribed line is at the edge of your working surface and press down quickly. It should go "plink" and break right along the line.
It couldn't be more simple. My 6 year old could do it on his first try.
Cutting curves is different, but a straight line for a picture frame should be a piece of cake.
Other thing is to make the space for the glass about 1/8" larger than you cut the glass. Saves a lot of grief from funny cuts in glass or wood....

won't
should
JackD wrote:

I never could get a common glass cutter to work, either I pressed to hard or pressed to light. But, I once cut a whole mess of glass for a greenhouse using a diamond scribe. Worked as slick as a whistle and only messed up 2 or 3 cuts out of nearly 100. Also, I've heard that old glass can be pretty tricky. Don't know if that's true but cutting straight lines on new glass with a diamond scribe is bone simple.

won't
working
along
should
old glass is just dirty, which prevents a good score. there's nothing inherent in old glass that prevents cutting it well.
an oil filled (use kerosene instead) cutter will run around $20. note, there's different wheels for different thicknesses of glass. if you're cutting 1/4" or larger, you need a special thick glass cutter, which you won't find in most normal places.
<. I actually think that

The keys are an expensive, pro glass cutter, some nibbling pliers, and a diamond drum sander with water circulator. Get all that, and after a bit of practice, you'll be a pro. :-)
--
Jim in NC

of
You don't need ANY of that to cut glass for rectangular picture frames.
-Jack

bit
True, except the cutter. <g>
I thought at one time this thread had wandered to stained glass type stuff. Wrong?
Oh well
--
Jim in NC

JackD wrote:

Agreed, but a good self oiling glass cutter is still a good idea, along with fresh glass.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Don't think I've ever seen one of those.
-Jack
JackD wrote:

Take a look at:
http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPages/0/0GC1S_948.html
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
or run down to local glass company and pay a very small fee and have a piece cut to size. 1/16 glass is not very expensive.
BRuce
Morgans wrote:

--
---