Painting a cabinet project

I am painting a cabinet I built with black semi-gloss paint. I've just primed the plywood and put on the first coat of black semi-gloss. Do I need to sand before the second coat? If so, what grain should I use? Thanks!

Reply to
iZ

yes, you should lightly sand, with 220 or 320 grit (not grain) sandpaper. And, just as important (if not more), remove the sanding dust before applying the next coat.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. As you can probably tell, I'm new to both the newsgroup and woodworking. This has been my first project and the feeling of actually creating something with my hands is indescribable. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here that I'm sure will be useful foro many future projects. Thanks again!

-iZ

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in news:TSffb.9632 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr32.news.prodigy.com:

sandpaper.

Reply to
iZ

You need to sand it, either lightly (enough to key it for the second coat) or a bit more heavily (to remove any brushmarks). You can also reduce brushmarking by brushing alternate coats crosswise to the last one.

For sanding paint, I prefer wire wool to sandpaper because it doesn't clog. 0 grade is usually about right, or 00 for gentle keying. If you do use sandpaper, make sure it's an "open" grit (not fully coated) and "stearated" - These are measure to redcuce clogging on paint, and most good stuff will be. 180 or 240 grit is usually about right for woodworking. Much finer for a "car showroom" finish, if you're spraying it.

Next time, you may find that primer, undercoat, finish allows you to get a good result with fewer coats of the finish. It's quicker and cheaper too.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley