Table Saw surface flatness

Hi, folks. Can anyone give me an idea about how flat the table surface should be or I can expect from a $1000 table saw? I bought a Jet cabinet saw (1 3/4 hp) and talked to their tech support several times. I have gotten different answers different times. The center cast iron table surface is concave and is off by .021 inches. That seems like a lot and I can see a nice gap under my straight edge.

Am I expecting too much or is this reasonable for a saw at this price range? Thanks.

-Moe

Reply to
Your Name Here

it should be flat within about .010 -.011 IIRC. I called Delta tech support when I got my Unisaw. Mine was flat within .008 in all directions, which put it within their specs. They are very cagey about giving out specs, by the way. If you ask them point blank, they will ask you to tell them what deviation YOU measured. Then they will come back with a number that is higher, making your tool "within specs".

The Unisaw is around $1,700; not 1K, so YMMV.

dave

Your Name Here wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

My $300 Harbor Freight saw is flat to about .007 inches. It is probably an anomaly, but for $1000 I'd expect it to be under .010.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Time was you got a card with the various measurements and tolerances, signed by the inspector of same, with your saw. Still have mine from the 34-410, and table was to have been it should be flat within about .010 -.011 IIRC. I called Delta tech

Reply to
George

You're right about them not passing out specs. However, I'd say .021 is pretty excessive. Still, I caution anyone against falling into the trap of trying to apply metalworking tolerances to woodworking machinery.

When I got my Unisaw about 6 years ago the top was dished some, I don't remember just how much. Get this - I called Delta, they sent a guy out to check it, he confirmed my findings, and they shipped out a whole new top with wing. The new one has a couple of areas that are dished by a few thou (around .006 in the worst area).

Mike Fairleigh

Reply to
Mike Fairleigh

Mike, sounds like 6 years ago their support was much better than it has been this past year. I went round and round with them over a vibrating band saw. I finally got my money back. The dealer was pissed, but hey, so was I, that they couldn't fix it. I told Delta the problem was likely due to the fact that they switched from an isolation mounted motor to a rigidly mounted motor, as I had the previous model BS which didn't vibrate and had the IMM. NOW Delta has introduced the X5 version of their BS and GUESS WHAT?? They are again using an IMM.

dave

Mike Fairleigh wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

If you hadn't checked it, you would have never worried about it and it would have no effect. Now that you know, subconsciously you are going to believe that it is effecting your work.

Reply to
CW

I presume you are talking about a new saw or relatively new saw under warranty that has not been abused somehow.

A new saw out of flat by 0.021" is unacceptably out of tolerance, especially on a cabinet saw.

Recently, in connection with a saw problem I just got resolved, a Jet tech told me that Jet's tolerance on a table saw top was 0.015".

I recently had Jet replace a complete Jet contractor saw body due to the top being out of flat by 0.03". My saw was near the end of the 2 year warranty window, no hassle, no nattering questions asked. Returned the defective saw, motor, legs etc to the retailer and took delivery of the new saw. (Kudos to Jet!)

The table top on a cabinet saw is very easy to replace. Insist on a new one.

Do not mess around with a table top that is 0.021" out of flat - it ain't gonna get better with age.

Reply to
caveman