Our First Lowes - What A Difference Over Home Depot!!!

Page 3 of 4
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:33:54 -0500, J T wrote:

HD on Port road off Capitol. Look for Carla in Paints. I was looking at weatherseal, she asked if I was finding everything, I quipped offhand that the stuff I was looking at required 40 degrees and it was a 30 degree day. She said I needed Seal&Peel, walked down the aisle, and brought a tube to me. OK, I wasn't actually intending to buy any at all, but I left with two tubes. When I got home, I called up HD and asked for her manager to be sure he heard my "AttaGirl" loud and clear.
Menard's OTH (on 76th) has actively hostile twerps roaming the aisles.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com
Australopithecus scobis wrote:

The Menard's "up by me" has a program where they'll give you a discount if you can show a picture of a car on blocks in front of your double wide or prove that you store your ice auger in your bedroom.
UA100, who once saw a bumper sticker that read, "Deer Fear Me, Women Crave Me" and thought, that's a Menard's shopper...

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through
38 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim
by, you might live in Wisconsin.
If you have ever refused to buy something because it's "too
spendy", you might live in Wisconsin.
If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you might
live in Wisconsin.
If you have either a pet or a child named "Brett", you might live
in Wisconsin.
If you see people wearing camouflage at social events (including
weddings and funerals), you might live in Wisconsin.
Bob
"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

You've been peeking ... that's my "winter uniform" here in Texas.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Dyslexic, too. He got it backwards.
Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000

He craves wummen and is afraid of deer?
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 18:33:54 -0500, J T wrote:

I've just given up on asking. If I can't find what I want, I assume that either a) they don't have it, or 2) they don't care if they sell it to me. Either way I leave and go to the next one (and the next and... until I put the project on-hold and get what I need on-line).
--
Joe Wells

That will make it very convenient, you will be able to tell which one you are in. I used to live in the Northern VA suburbs of DC and there were 5 HDs within 5 miles of my house (some were Hechingers), and 5 different floor plans. Very confusing. And you still couldn't get informed help. At least, I had 3 good wood dealers nearby; here in NC it is 30 miles to get good wood at a good price.
Steve

Yeah, we had a Lowes open up here last fall, right behind the orange Borg. As soon as they opened HD laid off about half their employees. You go into Lowes and there are salespeople crawling the halls, mostly in pairs talking to each other. It's the same stuff at the same prices in a newer store with (unbelievably enough) worse service. Yowsa!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
"Unisaw A100" wrote in message

Must be red state/blue state ... it's just the opposite down heah.
BTW, don't try talking to that friendly looking 5' 4" gentleman/lady always standing in the same spot just past the entrance door ... he/she's a cardboard cutout.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Well, 'sconsin is juuuuuuuust barely whatever color Democrat is, so I'm not sure that makes a difference. Almost at the point where if the invalid votes in Milwaukee hadn't been cast, it might have gone the other way.

I talk to that lady in the Sugarland SW Freeway store on occasion. This one is so realistic that she actually walks and talks. However her standard answer is to continue looking where you were looking if you are having a hard time finding something. Soooo although the model in the Sugarland store is sophisticated enough that she does walk and talk she cannot think or give more than one answer to multiple questions. She must have been a doctor or weather forecaster model in a previous job function as she is never right the first time she answers.
Swingman wrote:

Now you tell me.
I thought she was a lezbo 'cause she ignored me when I hit on her.
sigh...
UA100

You hit on a cardboard sign?
sigh....
Bob

cardboard cutout, 'cept some of them move a bit faster! Greg
Greg O wrote:

Consider yourself lucky. In our Home Depot, depending on where you park, you can access the tools from the right or left.
SH - The "decisions, decisions" woodworker
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Actually, they (HD) lay different ones out as mirror images for some reason I don't fathom...the two in Konxville, TN, are mirror images of each other...of course, one is west, the other east--maybe that's it.. :)
Duane Bozarth wrote:

This is pretty common in lots of different stores. I used to work at a "left handed" Wal-Mart. Since it was the only Wal-Mart around, I had no idea it was backwards until I started driving a truck.
As far as the Lowes' vs. HD experience, when HD finally came to town, I looked around a few times, and pronounced it "just like Lowe's, only orange." I wonder if Keith feels the same about Lowe's, having grown up in HD. The two stores are about 90% identical merchandise/price wise. The layouts are different, and that's annoying. I'd rather shop at the one where I know how to find stuff, and for me, that's Lowe's. I almost never bother to drive a bit further up the street to HD. It's not that I hate HD, but I do feel like their store is pretty much superfluous. Lowe's is closer, familiar, and 90% identical. Oh, and it's blue, not orange. I hate orange.
"Silvan" wrote in message

Here in my neck of the woods, Lowe's is cleaner, much more organized, less busy, and you are more likely to hear English over the PA.
Home Depot is the exact opposite, but closer, and, since I have both a commercial and individual HD account, I rarely go elsewhere.
Besides, Lowe's, thus far, is also the ONLY place in the world I've been, including the UK and Europe, where my Visa business debit card will simply NOT work without ten minutes hassle ... go figure.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04